"Two Pole" on quality waters

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Old406Kid, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I landed 2 steelhead on one rod at the same. A 12lb buck and a 10lb hen. True story.

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

what color were the wing bobbers?

3. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I was indeed fishing gear before I started fly fishing heavy. We were pulling divers and got a double on. The fish crossed lines and the divers tangled badly. Friction snapped one line and I managed to keep both fish on splitting off in a "Y", 20 minutes later 2 fish on the bank. It was epic for sure. A one in a million catch. When the divers reached the tip top I had to back them into the net.

4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I was out fishing a lake the other day and dragging a streamer on a sinking line when I spotted a nice size fish cruising just under the surface along the bank. At that moment I really wished I could just leave my streamer in the water and grab my other rod rigged with a floater and nymph and make a couple quick casts. I figured by the time I drug my trolling setup in the fish would be gone. That said, I'm not sure I would pay extra for a two rod endorsement as I don't see a situation coming up too often when I would want two rods in the water at once.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Springtime in the basin is a fun time for fishing chronies with two rods. It's best from a boat as two chronie rods from shore is hard. Harder than it's worth.

6. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

The comment period for the fishing regulation proposals has been extended to Jan 29th, so let them know how you feel. For what its worth, I find it amusing that when the WDFW required an $8.75 Columbia River Endorsement for steelhead and salmon, a lot of anglers complained. Even though the funds are going to be used for the enhancement of that particular fishery. Now that they offer a two pole endorsement for $14.80 and you still get to catch the same amount of fish, anglers are giving their money to the WDFW with out batting an eye. Tom

Jim Wallace likes this.
  7. kvannice

kvannice Member

I have no problem with two rods as long as you can use two hand gernades at the same time. I dont think most people will treat the fish with any respect so keep in the put and take lakes only....

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Huh? I think you are very wrong! People who fish quality waters or otherwise are who they are regardless of their respect for the resource the extra rod will not change that. I use the endorsement and I treat the fish with great respect. I think most will treat the fish with respect especially in selective waters.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Same fish treatment here and most of my fishing is in the "anything goes" waters. Most of the basin lakes, quality lakes or not, are excellent for fly fishing.

10. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I think this debate is silly. Use two rods if you wish, it doesn't change the game much besides helping some guys get dialed in and the few that can actually manage 2 rods might catch (and release) more fish. I, however, can barely manage my 1 rod, let alone think about tossing a second at the same time.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I'm in this camp. Using two rods at once just flies in the face of my mantra of "keeping it simple." I wouldn't want to have to manage a double hookup.
    Also, we should award a booby prize to the first two-pole angler photographed while attempting to unsnarl a tangled up mess of lines with a trout on the end of each one.

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I'd love to experience it with one or two rods! My lake game leaves much to be desired! :D

13. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/father-son-trip.82581/

Click the above link scroll down about seven posts and look at my pictures there. 4 fish in the net at the same time, two fish on one rod with two flies on it that my son was fishing (although I'm the one who set the hook), one fish on one of my two rods with my two rod endorsement and one fish on the other. 4 fish at the same time. Then look at the resulting mess. Was it worth the untangling? Hell yes!

14. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I'm slightly disgusted at how dialed in you get Ira :p

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Irafly likes this.
  15. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Well, the other side of the coin here, is that the State can make more money if they can sell the endorsement. I personally will not buy it, but hey, if it floats your boat, go for it. I just hope that it is not so successful that the bean counters in Olympia decide to tax something else for me to pay, and it is something that I really like to do. Do we recall the Discover Tax... er Pass?