"Two Pole" on quality waters

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Old406Kid, Nov 25, 2012.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Charlie, One must get out fishing occasionally to require the two rod endorsement.:p

Olive bugger likes this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w

Now after razzing Olive Bugger... a moment of seriousness. I have a two rod endorsement and at the end of the year realize I only used two rods less than 10% of the time. Most were during the Spring when chronie fishing.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

If I did that, I would get my flies wet!

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

This is the only circumstance that I would consider having a two-rod endorsement. There have been many cases when I'm fishing a lake with a sinking line and I have a rod with a floating line strung up with me in the float tube when I see a fish rise. It would be nice to be able to cast quickly without having to first reel in the sinker.
    D

5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Me to, me to. I firmly support the two rod endorsement!

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    This happened to me on Monday. I was trolling and saw a trout rise about 100 feet ahead of me and maybe 60 feet off to my right. Didn't feel like hassling with the switcheroo. (Plus, I'm trying to avoid casting with my compromised right arm, so I'm mainly sticking with trolling for the time being). I just quietly paddled a slow circle around the area of the rise and my fly line closed in around the zone like a purse seine net. Got a grab on the trolled fly...fish on! Going around them in a circle doesn't spook 'em as much as paddling straight over 'em.

But there is usually time to reel in and grab the other rod. Its just a hassle, that's all.

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

"like a purse seine net" now that's funny.

8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

I'm glad Richard mentioned his instance of using two rods. I once emailed the WDFW to ask if the two-rod permit was supposed to cover using two rods simultaneously (think trolling with two rods), or just carrying two rods but not using at the same time, or both. The contact person who replied failed to address the distinctions I made. So what are people really paying for? I certainly don't know. And it bugs me that the WDFW answer person appears to be equally clueless. Can anyone answer my question?

Grr!

--Dave E.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

Fishing with two rods (in the water) at the same time.

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

If it wasn't fishing two rods at the same time then I and countless other members of this sight would have been in trouble years ago. Hell I've had as many as 5 rods rigged up in my boat at the same time ready for different situations.

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

It truly baffles me how many people are willing to tell me I shouldn't fish with two rods simply because that is not how they CHOOSE to fish. Nobody is twisting your arm. I release every trout that I catch. What difference does it make how I catch them?

As far as the mechanics of using two rods... Personally I LOVE it. I hate fishing lakes where I can't use two rods. I find it helps me get dialed in just a bit quicker, but more than anything it improves my fun factor. I love being able to strip a leech on one rod, and watch for takes on my other. Sure makes for some exciting times when you get a hook up on both rods.

Nick

12. zen leecher aka bill w

One more thing you should be told. Do not fish the sunken fly and only cast to sighted fish. Wading is not proper either.

Irafly and Nick Clayton like this.