Tying Bench Clean-up

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Jul 6, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Wow, that was seriously overdue. Following my last major sweep and clean, the bench simply follows the laws of entropy and becomes a myriad of crap and mini-piles, lying all over the place. When I can no longer stand it, I spend an hour sorting and sweeping... looks good now and reignites my fly tying jones.

But holy hell... when I begin to see the amount of stuff I have accumulated, I really begin to wonder if I'm saving any money tying my own patterns. Of course I know full well the answer to my own question since I also buy a lot of flies when I'm on trips. I suppose like many of you, I tie partly because I enjoy the craft and like making my own versions of basic patterns developed by the true artists amongst us, and partly because I convinced myself early on that I could save BIG $$ tying my own... suckers :D.

And, it's clear I don't have the capacity to kick the habit as I just bought a crap load more stuff at Sportsman Warehouse this weekend -- because it was on a super duper clearance sale and I could save even more $$. I pray most of you never suffer this sickness.

Oh well, the bench looks awesome and I found that hair stacker I'd been looking for ;) .

surfnsully and dfl like this.
  2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I fall into the "sucker" category, and my fly bench is probably the worst of anyones, when it come to being disorganized and messy. I almost got it organized well enough to tie something up the other evening, but by the time I'd located the hooks I knew I had (misplaced somewhere under something), and dug out the dubbing (I remembered buying years ago), it was time to get some sleep!

dfl likes this.
  3. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Same here, though I never thought I was saving money.
    I find myself passing on purchased flies in my box in favor of those I've tied.
    Time at the bench is really relaxing I consider it all part of the same process. Not sure, but I think its all "fishing" , big blurry circle, watched the sunrise this morning at the butt end of my fly rod, in MA 9, saw a Minke whale, met an old German or Swede couldn't figure his accent, casting cut herring plugs, we joked with each other at our optimism.

Attached Files:

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I quit tying. I could only tie up Elk Hair Caddis's half way good. Some what good on woven flies. But since I haven't tied up a fly in over five years I forgot how to.

So I gave all my tying materials away. Now when I want some flies, I give a certain tier a message and I get the flies I want in the mail. Plus I still buy flies.

5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I am a sucker too.. The first time I showed Elizabeth my fly tying box I was greeted with "wow! You sure spent a lot of money to kill all sorts of different kinds of things.." If I figure a mean price of $4 per plastic bag, I probably have around $2500 bucks sitting there.. When I moved to Canada I gave away or threw out all but three of the medium moving boxes worth.