tying clousers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Scott Catlin, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

I'll bet a cup of coffee that he's using hair from the middle or bottom part of the tail . . .

The hair with the least flair (ha!) is at the tip, or basically above the mid point of the tail. Use that material and you will be amazed at the difference in flairing. The further you go down the tail, the more coarse and the more easily the hair flairs. The hair at the bottom of the tail is coarse.

This bit of info was obtained from articles written or DVD's prepared by Mr. Bob Clouser and Mr. Bob Popovics.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

So when do you want hair with flair vs hair without? As in what types of fly patterns do you tend to use the hair from the lower end for?

3. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Simply, hair with flair characteristics when you want it to flair (duh!) and spread to form, say, a head. You want to use the low flair hair when you are using it as materials for tails and want it to 'stream'.

4. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

sczott,

I don't think the second clouser is tied with bucktail, is it? It looks like a synthetic to me. Anyway, I tie my clouser's with synthetics.

Steve

5. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

This has been a really informative thread. I'd never paid much attention to what part of the bucktail the hair came from, but I will from now on. I've had experiences with the hair flairing. Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions for controlling this.

About synthetic vs. natural hair, the reason I've preferred the natural variety is that it always gives the fly a much more nicely tapered profile. The wings and tails on my flies tied with synthetics usually look as if somebody took scissors to the hair and cut it straight across at the tips. Any suggestions about how to get the synthetic stuff to look more tapered, or is this not really that important?

--Roy

6. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

try saltwater yak hair for your clousers. Wont flair like the bucktail and looks pretty good in the water. Personally i dont think it matters one bit to the fish, but i have been using the yak hair for a while now and only using the deer for bigger patterns where i want a large profile... like neah bay flies and stuff for calico bass in CA

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Drag free drift. Buy a cheap pair of thinning shears to cut the material
    After tying the fly so that it’s of different lengths. I got a pair from the dollar store and they do the job just fine.
    Thinning shears are those scissors used by barbers to thin out the top of your hair to give it body. They have a blade for cutting on one side and a metal comb like blade without an edge on the other.

8. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

Hikepat: great idea; I know the type of scissors you mean. Sounds as if they'll do the trick. Thanks.

9. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

Drag Free: If you don't want to spring for scissors, what I've done for years is just cut off the synthetic fibers I'll be tying onto my clouser and then just pulling a few fibers here and there to create my own taper before tying it on my hook. Just takes a second to do this. Anyway, that's my way.

10. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

The more I visit this site, the more humbled and grateful I am to those of you who share your knowledge with those of us asking questions. I would never have found many of the resources you all share, or tried the techniques you suggest

Earl Smith

11. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Very Helpful video series, it never is as hard as you make it =)
    Thanaks for the link, mine oare headed for the beaches of PV mehico