Tying Without Glue

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ambassadeur10000, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ambassadeur10000

ambassadeur10000 Member

I do pretty much all of my steelhead tying without glue. Is there anyone else out there who prefers to tying without any glue or is it just me?

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

3. ambassadeur10000

ambassadeur10000 Member

they catch fish just fine, and I hate the harsh smell of the glues

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I was wondering if you would mention the smell, I for some reason don't mind it except for 5min epoxy, that stuff smells like dogshit when your mixing. But I have wonder if it bothers the fish much, which may be why I stay away from sally hansens clear coat, it stunk up my entire box for a week from just a couple flies. But super glue, epoxy, gorilla glue, liquid fusion, softex, hot glue, thin head cement, cellulose dope and now clear cure goo (super stoked, just got some) are all on my desk and they all have their uses. If I'm just doing simple trout flies I don't bother with head cement, but on steelhead flies it really makes the head pop, especially if youre using fire orange thread. There are so many uses for glue that I guess it just seems weird to try to avoid using it.

5. ambassadeur10000

ambassadeur10000 Member

I also wonder if the fish smell it, because I do. I just catch plenty of steelhead without the glue so I'm reluctant to use it. I can catch a few fish on a fly for the most part, sometimes more, so I don't feel durability is an issue.

6. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

i mostly dont, but with zap a gap it's good in 1 minute and works great

7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

zap a gap, or... ANY OTHER SUPER GLUE, seriously that stuff is like five bucks at a fly shop and the lid is worthless.

generic and Blake Harmon like this.
  8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Never really worried about the odors. I use a ton of Hard as Nails and haven't seen any difference in my hook up rate with or without it.
    Lowes or Home Depot are the go to places for super glues if you don't want to pay $5 per tiny bottle.
    The new UV cures leave a pretty decent odor prior to curing but again I haven't found it to be a problem. The biggest problem with them is their tack free claims. I'll never buy clear cure goo again.
    Their are better UV products available.
    SF

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I have been tying with clear water based odorless head cement for over 15 years. The ones that smell bad are bad as the compounds found in those products are known carcinogens. Using them in a closed room without a lot of ventilation is pure folly-almost like having a death wish. Think spraying Imron without a mask and you'll get the picture.

Loon makes an odorless head cement that comes in a small squeeze bottle with a tiny almost hyperdermic type needle applicator that makes precise applications possible. It cost about $6.50 and last forever because there is no waste due to the design of the applicator.

Please, throw out those poison head cements and use something that won't have you breathing out of an oxygen bottle in a few years. Tie and fish into your eighties rather than have a grandson push you around in a wheelchair.

Ive

10. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

ambassadeur 10000,
    The short answer to your question is: yes, I now prefer to tie without glue (other than head varnish).

I've always used some kind of head cement since day one. Usually, it was (and still is) Cellire Varnish when I can get it. I also use Sally Hansens. In the last two years or so, I started using "super glue" during the construction of some flies and I liked the added "security" it provides toward extending the fly's fishing life. Also, it helps my paranoia in that I am always afraid that a fly I give to someone will come apart prematurely . I've also tried the UV epoxies (expensive) and Softex and Flexament . I also use old fashioned rubber cement on big streamer pattern wing assemblies.

Recent re-thinking of my "glue" use tells me I really don't need the stuff and I find that I really don't like using all these products (smell, ingestion etc). I will, however, continue to use just head varnish (like Cellire or SHHN) . For streamer wing construction I will give the Loon stuff a go.
    Jack

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Hate to get sidetracked but I don't think a few minutes a week working around glue fumes will give you cancer that sounds ridiculous.

12. (BigDave)

(BigDave) Active Member

I will have to try and find the Loon stuff. It would get me away from the harsh stuff but still keep the fly in one piece!

13. cebe

cebe Member

Ambassadeur, I don't use glue/head cement for my fishing flies either. I just do a four turn whip finish twice and throw it in the fly box. I usually lose a fly before it has a chance to come apart. Stopped using glue because I used to think that the smell turned off fish, but after a while it just became a time saver. I can't tell you how many times I tie up a half dozen just before I leave to hit the river. Don't want to wait for the glue to dry, never been late for fishing.

Jack Devlin likes this.
  14. Preston

Preston Active Member

A. K. Best says that a three-turn whip finish is adequate to secure the head of any fly. I must admit to using more turns than that (usually four or five), without head cement, on all of my trout flies and have never had any problems with durability.

Just to be inconstent, however, I prefer a smooth, glossy head on all of my steelhead flies for purely aesthetic reasons. These days I usually use Sally Hansen nail polish (because it's cheaper than most "head cements" and readily available. Occasionally I use Softex which remains flexible while providing a glossy finish. I don't think that the fumes of toluene (the solvent used in Softex) will have any significant effects on my health used in a fairly well-ventilated room for the short length of time I'm exposed to them.

15. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Crazy glue.