Tying your own leaders

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Dec 10, 2010.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Chef, The above responses have covered all the bases-there is excellent advice in there. The only thing I can add from having tied my own leaders for almost 25 years is use a micrometer to measure your material. I have seen way too many instances where a 4X tippit spool was actually larger than a 3X, etc. And many times a spool will list the diameter at say.007" when it is actually .0095'' for instance. When I buy spools I usually mike the material then write the actual size on the spool with a black marking pen.

Nowadays I am only using two materials-Rio Powerflex and Orvis Mirage and both of those products have been consistently accurate with their labeling.

Ive

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I never thought about that Ive. Good idea. Thanks for the heads up.

3. wet line

wet line New Member

Ive,

Excellent point!!!

I have encountered that dissparity when re-building from a manufactured leader, so it is not so much what a label says but rather is my tie on a size smaller than what I am tying onto.

Dave

4. Roundeye777

Roundeye777 always angling

good call on the RIO and Orvis, by far the most consistent.

5. LakeLuster

LakeLuster Guest

I tied my own leaders for years. At that time I was mostly interested in fishing streams. Since becoming addicted to lakes I've been using knotless manufactured leaders. As stated above, when fishing deep its fine to just use a 4 ft length of tippet. I think being confident tying your own leaders is really helpful even if you mostly use store bought leaders. I still carry the various spools of material to tie a leader from scratch. Then, if my tippet gets too short or the leader gets damaged, I can rebuild the leader so that it continues to turn over correctly. This has proved especially helpful on trips lasting a couple of days or more. I don't have to carry a ton of expensive manufactured leaders and am confident I'll always have a well tuned leader. I remember practicing bloodknots while watching TV. For the reasons stated above, I still consider that time well spent, even though I currently buy most of leaders.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I like tying some for turnover of bigger things. Dries normally are fished on factory tapered leaders. I have a small patch of towel or chamois that I wet and use to clean any junk off my knots. Works way better than fingers alone. Shortens the fly leader knot "junk" cleanup.

7. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Active Member

Sometimes I tie my own, steelhead. big bushy dries and some lake/sinking; although I've started using poly leaders for steelhead, and like it and sinking leaders are often just 3 ft of level something x.

As for tying them to save money, I suspect it is like flies; on only another 100,000 or so I'll have broken even -- provided I don't buy any more material . . .

8. Timsan

Timsan Member

After reading an article years ago on some 90+ year old tying his own I decided to try it. Although I never write the recipes down, its not hard to get the leader correct for the fly in use.