Umm? WDFW

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dehlan G, May 8, 2010.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I haven't read the west side regs, cause i don't fish the west side.
    This is what i get out of reading this post.
    The WDFG wants less water to patrol, wants less fishers fishing in remote locations.
    Lets just face it, the WDFG doesn't want you out there fishing.
    One more lost privilege.

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Gary, I doubt they don't want us fishing. After all, if I don't fish they don't get $ from me for a license.

Just guessing, but I bet the WDFW calculated that they can simultaneously protect their bread-and-butter anadromous fisheries (where most of their revenue originates) AND reduce their operating costs (by simply closing vast areas of watersheds).

The rules as written do help simplify protection of anadromous fisheries. They may also have calculated that by simply closing vast areas of remote small streams they won't have to police/manage those watersheds.

But I'm just speculating.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Lugan, your are right about the $ issue.
    The state wants the $ but does want to do anything to earn it.
    I see the anadromous fisheries as a very messy issue with many special interests involved and the sport fishers taking it in the shorts.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/66317-No-more-WDFW

Just sayin.

I am wicked pissed about this. I get maybe 3-5 shot per year to fish without my kids any more. I take that time to fish remote places that i wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kids. 4 of those places are closed now and another one may or may not be. I wish I knew because it may or may not be a beaver pond.
    This fing blows!!!!

5. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    I was in class and the WDFW called me back and left a voicemail. The lady said it is to protect steelhead and native rainbows. Im wondering if there classifying steelhead smolts and rainbows as the same fish, regardless of if they go out to sea, or stay in the stream. Now that I think about it, all the closed streams do have rainbows in them and not cutthroats. I have a hard time believing that thriving populations of isolated stream trout need protecting.

6. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

So did WDFW and DNR merge in the end? Or was that idea killed?

7. Rory McMahon

Home Page:
    Another thing, I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to budget cuts, seems to me their trying to simplify the process, and they're ok with screwing over a small minority group of fisherman.

8. Be Jofus G

That's BS Rory. Don't buy it. Hell, They stock one of the now closed beaver pond systems with cutthroat.

Lugan, no there was no support for getting rid of WDFW so it died. Pity.

9. Rory McMahon

Home Page:
    Oh I know they've closed plenty of places with cutts, but the main cutthroat drainages (sky tribs, snoqualmie forks) are open. I left her a message telling her to call me back, im anxious to get a better idea of what there goal with the rule change really is. I get the feeling this is the beginning of the end for washington and logical fishing regulations

10. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Yet, it still appears to be legal to harvest Native Rainbows as well as Bull Trout, for instance, on the Skagit.

While I like very much some of the staff, I am beginning to believe that WDFW as a conservation-minded, fisheries management entity is a pathetic POS.

11. Be Jofus G

Follow the dollars. There's less $$ for hatcheries so the commercial interests are buying up spawning and rearing real estate. There would be negative ROI if they took the time to research every blue squiggley line and see if there is a barrier. I'll guarente we're 5 years or less away from a statewide Wenatchee flying circus. We'll only get to fish moving water when the commercials tell us it's cool.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You have to look close to the rules. I just down loaded the new rules and have been going over them. Olnely Creek is not closed. Only streams that empty into Puget Sound are closed or have restrictions on them. The ones that don't drain into the Sound are not closed They are open From the first Saturday in June.

What a fucken Mess

13. Rory McMahon

Home Page:
    Olney Creek does drain into the Sound Jim, it runs into the Sky, which runs into the Snohomish, which goes to the sound. I read the section pretty thoroughly, and Olney Creek wasn't included. I don't really fish the creek and don't really care that its closed, but it was just a notable closure.

14. Be Jofus G

"We have adopted a new management strategy that offers additional protection to stocks in streams draining into Puget Sound or the
    Strait of Juan de Fuca. The basic rule in these waters is that all rivers, streams, and beaver ponds are closed to fi shing unless they
    are listed in the following tables in the Puget Sound and Strait Rivers section of pamphlet
    (see pages 33-48). These tables detail ALL
    of the fi shing opportunity in these drainages. Areas open to fi sheries are presented by river system unless the waters drain directly to
    salt water. All other waters in these drainages are closed to fi shing"

Nope Jim. it is closed along with the rest of the skinny water draining into the Sky, Sans the South Fork Tribs, Wallace and Sultan.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Olney creek drains into the Wallace river Not the sound. If you want to add that there are four rivers between that creek and the sound so be it, but it is open in June.

I know that you don't fish that little stream. And there is a 90' falls on the creek upstream from the Wallace. Nothing gets above it. And if you did you would know that there are some big fish above the falls.

Since I don't live and fish there anymore I ought to just shut up but you all don't cipher the rules very well. You all see the closed thing but stop reading at that point.

Maybe we ought to close the Clark Fork. Because in a round about way it drains into the Columbia.

Every stream In the greater Seattle, Everett, and Tacoma area, in a round about way drains into Puget Sound. But a lot don't go there directly, they drain into another system and those systems are open on the first of June.