Unwanted time off, make the best of it

steeli

You think I could fish from shore?
If you hit the lakes suggest fishing the drop off ledges and deep water.
Rattlesnakes' west shore drops off quick, though not sure about lake levels this time of year in terms of shore access. For me, out deeper is where the fish will be lulling around this time of year.
If you're willing to travel, the salt would be my choice right now. Pick a high, incoming tide.

I tied flies today while staring out at the whitecaps on Lake Roosevelt. It was sunny but cold, the wind making it around -10. Though I have fished many times in such conditions, and I'm sure I will again in the future, I didn't have the slightest urge to venture outside today, even though I was aware that they'd just thrown a bunch of 5-6 pound stockers in yesterday.
Instead, I opted for a nap when I tired of tying streamers and midges. Listening to the icy wind howl was much more comfortable from my couch.

JasonG

If you hit the lakes suggest fishing the drop off ledges and deep water.
Rattlesnakes' west shore drops off quick, though not sure about lake levels this time of year in terms of shore access. For me, out deeper is where the fish will be lulling around this time of year.
If you're willing to travel, the salt would be my choice right now. Pick a high, incoming tide.
I might give rattlesnake a try. I haven't don't much still water any suggestions on what to use? I do have a full sink line.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
Stonefish gave some great advice, fish the salt. If the choice came down to fishing the Middle Fork Snoqualmie vs fishing the salt, I would fish the salt, regardless of season. Read a Roger Stephens post or two over on the salt forum. Become familiar with the South Sound, orient yourself to Searun Cutts and resident Coho, and forget the winter fishing blues. Salt will not ruin your trout gear, and if it does, there's an excuse to get more gear...

JasonG

Stonefish gave some great advice, fish the salt. If the choice came down to fishing the Middle Fork Snoqualmie vs fishing the salt, I would fish the salt, regardless of season. Read a Roger Stephens post or two over on the salt forum. Become familiar with the South Sound, orient yourself to Searun Cutts and resident Coho, and forget the winter fishing blues. Salt will not ruin your trout gear, and if it does, there's an excuse to get more gear...
Ill have to look into it. I'm losing hope around here in the winter.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
The SF Snoqualmie looks like it's in great shape. Use deep and slow winter tactics and lower your expectations. Or hit the Sound and lower your expectations.

I heard it's pretty hard fishing on the forks this time of year?
The fishing is easy, it's the catching that is a bit tougher :)

You will have to nymph, be patient and lower your expectations. Get out and explore the middle fork, it can be fun and I never know what you'll will find.

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk