Up one line? Two?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jake L, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

I have a 250 on my TCR 6 weight, and the TCR handles it with noooo problem. I could probably put a 10 weight on that TCR and it would cast it . . . The 250 would probably load your GL3 nicely.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm up in the north Seattle area and you're welcome to try my line on your rod to decide on which line to spend your $60.

2. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Interesting! The fella I bought the rod from said that's all he ever used - wax on the male ferrules and since I've only used the rod maybe 8-10 times I figured it didn't need anymore wax for awhile....maybe it's "awhile" time now, eh? (Hmmm....wonder if they have any "banana scented" wax?:rofl::rofl:)

If I can't locate my emergency candles somewhere (easy), I guess I'll hafta' buy one.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, Riseform :thumb:!

JC :)

3. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Posted by Richard:

Well, from what I've read here in the forum, your TCR would, as you say, "probably cast a 10 wt!" Not sure if my GL3 would tho....don't think I'll try!:clown:

Richard, that is exceedingly generous of you...I'm just completely gabberfla...., er..., flabbergasted (see?)....jeeez, I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'..., uhm..., are you a full-time "worker-bee" or are you available pretty much anytime - when yer not actually fishin' of course? I live on East Hill, Kent.
    With your permission I could PM you my cell phone number and/or work number - I still work (groan) but get 3 days a week off...details in PM if you agree!

Thanks again :thumb:!

JC:)

4. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I overline the GL3 by two for casting a shooting head.

Probably going to have some people attempt to fry me for saying that, but they don't cast my rods. I make them perform for myself and the average person that I guide for. Not them, obviously.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Why banana wax, if you ain't catching fish, use some bananas. I bet those ferrules will be nice and firmly seated. Then when you catch some fish you can be a part of the "we don't believe in that silly banana superstition" group.

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Why do you expect to be fried? Uplining by two line weights is fairly typical . . . .

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I think it is, but you know how it goes around here sometimes when people have differing opinions. :)

8. Ed Call

Everybody knows opinions are like bung holios, some are just better maintained than others, you all know the saying. Besides, everyone casts differently, right? Same setup in differnet hands often yeild much different results.

9. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Thanks, Mumbles but just a tad late on that advice -- I'm actually a "Charter Member" and CEO, CIO, CFO, BES (Banana Eater Supreme) as well as, President, Vice-President (President of Vice 'n Stuff), Prime Minister of BS, Chaplin & Martyr Extraordinaire of this great & fine organization...SBS :rolleyes:

JC :)

10. Ed Call

JC, you should not have admitted to eating bananas here, now everyone will tout your lack of fishing due to their preceived superstitions and rule out any other variables.

11. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

I know, I know...., but such is the life of a "True Martyr" --- to expose oneself to endless flagellation, humilation, degradation, castration and other stuff - all for the "Glory of The Great One!!!":rofl::D:rofl::beer1:

JC :rolleyes:

12. Ed Call

Whoa, you had me rolling until castration, yikes! Is that the going penalty for eating bananas.

13. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Hmmm? 'Spose that depends on the company you're in....:eek:!!

JC :D

14. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Without reading ALL 8 pages of this thread...bawling: Would using an 8wt 40+ on my 7wt 9' z axis be OK? Anyone else use this stick and if so what set up?

Sorry, extreme newbie to the salt..been listening to a bud who says this is all he'd fish if he had to choose...(wish he would as he's kicking my ass on summer runs..)...So here's where I fall in..

15. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Sure you could.:thumb: