Upcoming tides preview of rising sea levels?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Stumpf, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Nice looking boat Milt

2. riseform

riseform Active Member

Google "Climategate"

3. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

"Wannafish" I'm wondering where around Westport you are talking about

Regarding Milt's quote...this takes me back to my college days 1970 or 1971. I took a basic oceanography class at Grays Harbor College. One of things that was done in the class was measure the lateral drift along the ocean beaches and then compute how long it would take a grain of sand to travel a given number of miles. The lateral drift is usually in a Northerly direction. One of things we learned back then (which might not be the current standard of thinking) was the sand on the beaches North of the Columbia river was supplied by the Columbia's runoff of silt. With the building of the dams which is one of the reasons we have fairly cheap electricity we blocked the runoff of the silt. Peacock Spit at the mouth of the Columbia continued through the years continued to supply the sand on the beaches but it is supposedly getting smaller and smaller due to the damns blocking a lot of the silt thus supplying less sand. The beach around Westport has changed a lot from what it was when I was a kid and I don't think it is from a rise in sea level.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I live in the third row of houses back from high bluff. How long is it going to take for the annual erosion to give me the waterfront property I covet but can't yet afford? Do I need to carry my waders in my rig all the time because the rise will be sudden without further warning? I just got a newer vehicle that gets 4 more MPG than my former one, is my carbon footprint reduction effort going to make a difference? Science shows over long term history that our planet periodically goes through its own recalibration process through processes totally out of our control. By improving what we can we may make a slight contribution, but when recalibration is needed you best not stand in its way.

Off for the popcorn!

5. gt

gt Active Member

true, mumbles, unfortunately for all of us what used to take hundreds of thousands of years is now happenning in our lifetimes, kind of different i would say. now the bluff at dungness spit has already collapsed in 3 seperate locations so far this winter. depending on what soils makes up 'high bank' you may have your wish of higher taxes before yah know it.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

GT, don't let my neighbors to the slight west hear that. They tire of my "I'm waiting for my own high bluff property" jokes. I've not been out to the spit in a couple of years. I better get out there soon with the girls so they can see it for the marvel of nature that it is. Maybe we'll ring your doorbell on Sunday!

7. codswallower

codswallower Member

Nobody stands to make any money by fomenting hysteria about global warming. And yeah, you don't like Al Gore. However the corporations that fund the global warming "skepticism" thank you for spreading their misinformation!

8. Tod Fossetta

Tod Fossetta Sorry, I'm not set up for that.

There is no misinformation in what I posted, and I do not support corporations that pollute and pillage our environment. It is a fact from public record in Ca., sorry if you don't want to hear the "inconvenient truth".

9. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Thank you riseform. I was curious about this recent scandal as well, but didn't look into it deeper until now. I thought this non-partisan point of view was interesting and well founded. They sourced information from American Association for the Advancement of Science, NASA and NOAA, as well as articles or stories written by the BBC, Time and ABC News. Turns out the emails in Climategate were in fact shady, but concluded to not be hiding any data that disproves the human impact of climate change and global warming.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/12/climategate/

10. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

I think any rise in sea level is the least of the worries of the Dungeness Split. It's worst enemy is erosion. It is just a matter of time before nature does its thing and the split is no more.

11. gt

gt Active Member

well blktailhunter, rising sea levels will guarantee that deposition no longer occurs leading to the demise of the dungeness spit. these events are linked don't'yah see?

12. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

No. Waves, wind, gravity, human activity, rain, tectonic movement and several other factors all cause erosion. There is nothing man can to to prevent it. Sooner or later the split is going to disappear. Such are the ways of nature.

13. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Erosion is the friend of Dungeness Spit, in fact it is how it was formed in the first place. The spit is growing longer as we speak. When first built the lighthouse was at the end of the spit, now the tip is considerably further out. Sand from the eroded bluffs are continually being added to the spit by tide and current.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    The facts:
    [​IMG]]

15. riseform

riseform Active Member

My pleasure. That was a good read.

This reminds me of the Clinton scandal. Virtually every member of his party ignored disturbing evidence to defend the man in the interest of protecting their hold on the presidency. The office was more important than the truth. He (and they) would still be denying the events if Monica hadn't saved the dress.

While not a semen stained dress, these hacked emails are similarly troubling. They expose the politicization of these "scientists", whose unacceptable behavior damages the credibility of all science. Unlike politics, science has traditionally embraced dissent (though Galileo may disagree). We'll see what the subsequent investigations and law suits reveal. In the mean time, the global warming/climate change advocates will continue to behave like the past Clinton defenders.