Upgrades to Watermaster?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by pastorbrian, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Busy? Me? Let me check my 2012 schedule. I might have an afternoon free bawling:

I also just realized that we should try those strap-ons I bought for my Escalade. They are really simple and very packable. And, while they will not provide the beefy, ridge base of your frame, they might be better than our originals. Hey I just had an idea. What if we had a big curved metal plate with a hole in it that went over the oar lock base and strapped around the tube tightly. Then when one reefed on their Minimags, the oar patch was not fully flexing/pulling away from the tube as the metal plate prevented it/dispersed the force. And if it had a welded on short piece of pipe aka oar lock receiver, it could be used with a regular oar lock for really hairy rivers...just random thoughts when I should be sleeping...

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Ed,

8 pounds you say? That is pretty light and consistent with the WM portability concept. About how much does the frame cost?

Freestone,

I'm blushing brightly having read about you, strap-ons, and Escalade in the same sentence. Had to stop right there!

Sg

3. Freestone

Well Sg, I was lying in bed, half-asleep in the early morning darkness writing it on my phone. I guess I should have been thinking about something other than boats though, LOL!

Ed, I'll post a picture of those strap-ons if I can find them - but maybe I'd better post a warning not to open the photo at work. :rofl: I haven't tried them on the Escalade yet but until this morning, I'd never though of also trying them on the WM. I really don't want to drill my MiniMag so the strap-ons might be a way around that. We're going to have to have an even bigger gear trying out party now - oars, frames, strap-ons... Maybe we can get Chef to bring his Renegade as I'd like to it too.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sg, the frame builder, out of Portland, will make these full rowing frames for $375. I'm pretty sure that is the same price point as the "strap on" light duty frames from Outcast, if that is what Freestone is referring to. If not, I'm blushing brightly myself! His frame design has full oar towers, is stout as hell and drops into the boat quite nicely. Mine does not show the seat base, but his plan is for a seat base that will accomdate an action seat, low back rowing seat or whatever you prefer to put on your boat.

5. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Awesome Ed. I have the same boat Gregg does. While it's not at the top of my buy list right now, I'd like to pick one of those frames up pretty soon.

6. Freestone

Ed, my straps-ons are much simpler and aren't really a frame. Picture a curved plate of metal that is shaped to fit the tube. It has a welded on piece of pipe/tubing/oar lock receiver and slots on the top and bottom for straps that go around the tube. There are two plates, one for each side of the boat. They were sold Scadden years go before he started using the WM-type glue-on oars. I haven't tried them on the WM yet and I'm not that the curvature is the same but I'll checkand post photos if they look like they will work.

7. Ed Call

Freestone, Happy New Year, but when you say "strap-ons" you totally lose me! I think I've seen some that Outcast makes. Just a curved set of wings out to oarlocks.

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Soooo...when we all getting together for a WM float? The Cle Elum looked decent the other day when I drove over on I-90!

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

How about this summer during a bikini hatch on the Yakima?

Sg

10. Ed Call

Let's not wait until summer. Sooner and later is better.

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

AS soon as it's above freezing!!

12. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

"A prolific Watermaster hatch should be anticipated sometime early this Spring on the Yak. We understand that this particular hatch is correlated with the March Browns in March/April, but well before the Bikini hatch starts in June/July." I believe I saw this posted on a fly fishing calendar somewhere. Or, maybe I was just day dreaming.

13. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Ed-I laughed about boat piled on boat in the garage. You will soon be like me and need a "boat barn" to house all the floating craft. If my wife could see my whole flotilla every day in the garage I might have trouble getting any more boats! I have an even better deal with the Winthrop property as I can divide my boats in two different locations! Rick

14. Ed Call

So if I get myself a piece of Peninsula property and another piece of property out eastward then I could have even more boats that the six or seven fishing capable floating craft that I have collected? That is brilliant. How can I ever buy property if I don't stop buying boats? So torn.

15. Freestone

No need for property on the eastside Ed; Alex and will probably be able to find storage room for your boats over here - and for a very low rate too! Plus, we'll be sure to keep them clean with regular baths in the river!