Upgrading my fly reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nader, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Nader

Nader Unsafe at any speed

I've been away from fly fishing for a while, but am wanting to get back into it. Been shopping around to update my fishing stuff. Fly fishing is pretty expensive for what you get. If you spend good money on a quality fly reel, it should have quality parts.

I'm not really a zealot in this way of thinking, I'm just using it as an excuse to play with my mini-lathe using some of God's metal (Titanium).

The pictures are self-explanatory showing how I machined a bronze bushing and pressed it into a machined titanium handle. I know it won't help my fundamental problem of not catching fish. In fact, if I were smarter, I would have spent the time used on this project to go out and actually get the line wet. Ah, well, at least this upgrade to my reel might motivate me to get out and try it:

raw materials.jpg bronze machining.jpg Ti machining.jpg machined pieces.jpg pressing bushing.jpg handle comparo.jpg reel finished.jpg

2. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

That looks really good!

3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

It looks like you've got other hobbies that you enjoy as well. Surely not time wasted on any account.
    D

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Looks like a good way to spend an afternoon.