Upland opener reports?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jonathan Walkenberg, Oct 5, 2009.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Since last year was my first attempt at chukar or hunting for birds on the east side in general I personally can't tell if this was a good number year or not. What I will give my opinion on are the grouse numbers. I didn't see a single blue last year when I hunted for them, and heard many reports of a bad year from guys that put some serious time in the woods. This year I flushed 16 in one outing! I had a notion that it may be a good year for grouse since I saw many more during the turkey season opposed to last season.

As for quail and chukar...I saw them and shot at them; which is more than I can say I did last year. Season is definitely early...if anything it just means you have to be more of a hunter, less gatherer. :beer2:

2. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

We used to hunt the Whiskey Dick area before the wind generators went in. Quilomene Creek and that area is nice hunting, but easiest to access from boat or ATV, neither of which I have. Do they still have the locked gate at the back end of the Petrified Forest Park? That is a place where you have to love walking up and down hill! Rick

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

Went out a shot a limit of quail. The quail numbers around Ellensburg again seem to be good this year. I am seeing more huns this year too. Do not know if that is due to hunting a different area. The chukar numbers seem to be about the same as the past 2-3 years. Seem to seeing the same amount of grouse too. SOme areas appear to hold higher numbers than others.

I was hiking by the Petrified forest and the gate was locked last Spring. Will be hunting Quilomene this weekend. Will let you know.

4. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

The Ranger Station at Wanapum State Park will give you the combination.

5. Cliff

Cliff Member

ribka and Rick,

I will most likely be in the Quilomene this weekend also. Look for a blue & gray Dodge pu with a blue slide-in camper.

Cliff

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I'd like to join you guys, but I will be heading past there Friday morning on my way to Montana! Sometime this season maybe we can hook up! rick

7. DAVE TODD

DAVE TODD New Member

Hunted with 4 others around Brewster. Saw very few birds. We bagged 10 quail & 1 Hun for 1-1/2 days of hunting. Saw no birds in a few always reliable spots. Dave Todd.....new to the site. Yes Rick is my older brother.

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

He had to mention "older" because if he posts a picture in his avitar, he will look like the older one!:thumb: Rick

9. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

hunted today with similar results to the opener. very few birds. I dont think i will chase chukars the rest of the year. We are going to need all the breeding stock we can get.

10. andrew

andrew Active Member

David you said that the last time! Glutton for punishment.

Getting ready for quail and ducks...

11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Sucks where I am at.:thumb:

12. J.Butch

J.Butch New Member

:thumb:Great photos Marty! I hope you got the ones I send to your company email for you to use.

Cheers,
    Jon