Upper Yak tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian White, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I tried way upriver on Friday and Steve has it right - not wade friendly. A lot of water.

2. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Thanks man, yeah I guess it was the State Launch. I've always called it "east Cle Elem" but it doesn't really matter. Normally the crossing isn't to hairy and the flows appeared similar to that I've crossed at before, it wasn't bad for the first half, but once I crossed the proverbial "point of no return" and knew a swim was happening. Not more then a second later I slipped and downriver I go. It took me almost to the bottom of the first pool before I could make it to shore. The current really rips through that stretch and doesn't always look like it. That was some real scary stuff thats for sure.

3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I'm 5'7" and 145lbs. I get to the point of no return pretty quickly, a few cold water spills have given me a few scares too. I almost always use a staff, but need to remember to wear my self inflating pfd.

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Official name of said boat launch: the state boat launch at East Cle Elum.

Your both right!

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Glad you made it out safely. The depth of the water isn't the problem, it's the velocity that will sweep you off your feet. I use a wading staff and a lot of caution.

6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Thanks Whitey! I realized my post sounded like I was correcting troutdopemajic, but I was just trying to make sure we were thinking of the same launch.

7. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Is Cle Elum's Fireman's park a good spot to wade? Do they allow you to fish there?

8. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I'd say it's a decent spot to wade, perhaps not my favorite, but since it has easy access and parking, it's often the one last stop I hit before jumping on the highway home. It's a common put-in/take-out spot as well, with an extremely unimproved boat launch area. Parking is free and easy, no access pass required.

There's several channels and islands that can be reached, although flows have to be reasonable to get to them safely. Even with high flows there's rip rap banks so you can at least walk and cast along the path that goes downstream quite a ways. I've always fished on the "park" side, but have wondered about access on the other (Cle Elum) side.

At Fireman's, I either catch a single big fish, or much more frequently get completely skunked.