Vashon Island flyfishing opps??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Hello everyone... I recently moved out to Vashon Island and have been trying to get into some fishing with little... ummmmm no success. I was wondering is there any opportunities for beach fishing, or with a small pram off of Vashon Island? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Scott

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

The west side of Vashon Island has been known for its sea-run cutthroat fishing since time immemorial. Some may be from the small creeks on the island, but I suspect that many are from Olalla Creek on the other side of Colvos Passage.

3. Gizler

Gizler New Member

Vashon is an excellant place to fly fish. My favorite Sea-run beach is located on the island which (Knock on wood) I have yet to be shut out when fishing it. If you have a pram the opportunities are endless.

4. Scott

Scott New Member

Thanks Gizler... this brings up another question... open for debate: My wife has a pontoon boat as well. Aside from using common sense, is there any inherant risk of using a pontoon boat in the salt? Just wondering, but it would be nice if we could both get out there and enjoy the day.

:COOK

5. Gizler

Gizler New Member

Personally I don't have any experience with pontoon boats. I suppose it would be possible as I have seen guys fishing the Yakima in them. If they can handle the currents in the river I suppose they could be used in the Sound as long as the weather isn't to inclimate and as you said "use common sense".

6. Dutch

Dutch New Member

I moved to the island about 2 years ago from the Netherlands, and started fly fishing again this year. Been mostly to the SF Snoqualmie I wanted to start trying for sea-run cutthroats. (Also to save on ferry fees ;-) while getting some easy after-work fishing - I work from home).

Are there any particular Vashon beaches that are easiest/good to fish from for SRC and what are suggested fly patterns/sizes.

Thanks for any info.

Rene van Egmond

7. Scott

Scott New Member

Dutch -

Well I don't know of any beaches.. I've tried a couple of times out of Tramp harbor, but maybe I'm fishing the wrong parts... If you ever want to hook up after work and give it a go, send me an email.

ScottErcoline@hotmail.com

-Scott