Vertical presentation fishing for Cabezon heating up in MA9...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

It's a long cast to the nearest "Pacific" Staghorn Sculpin from Florida. :) But we can certainly target saltwater catfish if you want to fail to impress your fellow fishermen with your species of choice. I actually don't mind hooking a few because they fight well, get up to 5+ lbs and will hit topwater poppers when in the right mood..

2. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

While fishing in Ascension Bay a year and a half ago the guides kept repeating Palometo es Palometo. It took me 5 days to convince them that they had it all wrong and their clients would be much better served and happy if instead they said Pescar es Pescar. My favorite day by far out of the 6 days of guiding came when we came across a bunch of snapper, little jacks and blue runners. Granted we also caught bones that day and I hooked into a nice snook and a cuda, but I love the action.

3. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I fished the same beach a day after you and caught none of those "salmon" things. I did however slay the "cabezon" so I think I was succesful? I also got hooked in the neck by another person, so do I get extra points?

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Well we headed out again, this time in the boat, to perfect our cabezon identification skills. Ira will have to fill in the details, but I'll leave it with the fact that this damn things kept getting in the way, so it was difficult to get down to those cabezon....

Attached Files:

Irafly, troutpocket, flyfool and 2 others like this.
  5. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Holy crap Nick your casting arm must be worn out.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Oh man, after getting the boat flushed, cleaned, and put away I am absolutely wrecked. I would give anything for a hot tub.

7. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I believe the day we met I landed a Flounder. I don't believe the water speed has as much to do wit it as the speed of your strip, or the type of line your using. I seem to only catch them with a sinking type line and a slow strip.

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Nice silvers!

9. holtad

holtad Active Member

Great report!

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Ahh, the silvers weren't in my way that much especially on the slack tide when I was fishing in toward the beach and the Sole/Flounder and the stag horns were hitting me every cast! My favorite had to be the flounder following the staggy that took my top fly when I dropped it back to him. Doubled up on flounder and sculpin, seriously nice! I landed 21 fish and only 4 of those were salmonoids. I don't care what the species snobs will say, that is fun fishing!

11. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I should of taken pictures of the flounder from Saturday we could of compared species and the possibility of them being Atlantic Flounder!

12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I wish I would have taken a closer look but at least two of the species were different. One of the fish I caught had orange spots but the others were the typical mottled brown with blackish spots. One of the sculpin I caught also was not a stag horn. In the end I ended up with 6 different species of fish. I also hooked a crab as well that took my bottom fly when I had a flounder/sole/sand dab hooked on the top fly. He was not legal size so I had to release him but he did manage to pinch me good before I unhooked him.

Kcahill likes this.