FS Very Rare and collectable: 8' fully welded Almarco wide pram, 65 lbs

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by yellowlab, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Since I have very little experience with ARC and MIG welding but zero with TIG I can imagine how hard it is to perfect the welds on thin sheet aluminum. It probably warps easily due to the heat, wire feed speed and fuse time so getting a final product that is straight, strong, and watertight is a tough endeavor and much a labor of love.

2. candr

candr Daryl

Have to throw in my .02 on this one. I agree with yellowlab, I've owned a SC classic and a couple wood prams and I recently built a pram out of plascore/carbon. Earlier this year a 10' almarco came up for sale in Eureka. The seller had 9 people that wanted to buy within a day. Lucky for me the first three couldn't come up with funds and I drove down and picked it up.

These are the best designed and built prams around. Wide beam, just the right amount of rocker, light weight, meticulous welds and bends and a great balance between aluminum that is thick enough for durability but still light enough to cartop and wheel into lakes you can't drive to. If you are a pram guy and have a chance to pick one up, I would highly recommend it. You won't need another boat. The 10' can fish 2 in both lakes and rivers. I modified mine a bit with front and back anchors, a removable comfortable seat and removable carpet for the bottom. Great boats.

Almarco1.jpg

Attached Files:

Jeff Dodd and yellowlab like this.
  3. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    I AM IN LOVE, I never knew he made a 10' boat?!?!?! What the ??!?!!! Everyone, if you're into the details note the integrated handles which are in the bow and transom using the tubular gunnels, elevated oar locks which eliminate tall rowers and banged up thighs/knees, factory lash off points for two transom anchors and bow anchor with what appears to be a custom pyramid anchor nest. How much does she weigh? and Do you trailer her?

I do have to say that it does take some time to get the balance right for the particular rower as the fixed seating position doesn't allow for much movement. I used a piece of marine UV starboard as based and fixed a swivel plate which could be mounted forward or back based on the seating area which gave me the ability to balance her out for optimal rowing.

4. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Since this classified ad is turning into a discussion that should be on the watercraft page, here are pics of my 8' Rogue She still is lighter than a Koffler, but like it for the fact that she is also a rare pram, of which I've never seen another anywhere I've travelled and fished. I customized her out with:

Starboard seat base and transom wedge for a small outboard, Thomas pocket puller with extenson arm. Cataract Mini Mags, quick release seat back so it fits right into the bed of the truck and under a tonneau cover, custom diamond plate. I need to get her adjusted a little more for optimal rowing with some elevated oar locks and moving the seat a little towards the transom, but also love this pram. BTW... if anyone finds an original Metalhead pram which was the predecessor of the Almarco and in some account some folks believe the design of the Almarco came from the Metalhead, please let me know. I've seen one of those boats before and would like to row one sometime.
    IMG_2235.JPG IMG_2234.JPG IMG_2236.JPG

5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

yellowlab, here you go;

Posted: Wed Jul 27 2011 11:05 am
    Post subject: WOW! Metalhead - 8 foot alum. Pram (napa county) $1100

"Metalhead" 8 ft. alum. Pram in mint condition. Adjustable position seat with both strap type and optional fold down 360 degrees padded swivel seat. Interior is gray Zolatone with glued in marine carpet on floor. New custom anchor ropes, dual anchors. New wooden sawyer 6 /13 foot oars with brass oar locks, wrapped shafts. Floor is optional .100 H/duty alum "glove-it" coating on outside bottom. Paint is teal blue/green.
    Pram has been garage stored and been in water a couple of times only. Exceptional condition and opportunity. Price is $1,100 firm. (Trailer not included.)
    Any questions - Call: 1-541-469-5020

6. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Bandy, that is incredible! wow, wish I could do it, but just not the right time in my life. Buying a travel trailer, so space is at a premium. Anyone who buys this will love this pram and it will keep its value and often times go up.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Wow Paul what a sweet setup you have there! I'm kinda wanting to pick up something similar for when my boy isn't out with me. Solo, the Fish Rite is really more boat than I need. Love the versatility it provides, I took it in the salt several times this season, but I long for a smaller more convenient pram for when I'm solo on lakes. I'm down to a matter of days until my wedding, and once things settle down I plan on beginning my search for such a craft. Don't be surprised if I pick your brain

8. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, anytime Nick glad to help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.