Vice....advice

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Seeking_silver, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

I have tied on the Peak for the past year and have been very pleased with the quality. I had a problem with a broken jaw early on and they replaced it without a charge. The jaw has been upgraded since. Good quality, great price.

2. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

I have a Renz. Traveler and I love it. However, after looking over the Peak and reading some professional reviews it might be a better choice for the money. I don't think that you'll be displeased with either vise (or should I say vice? :rofl: ) Good luck with your search.
    -Adam

3. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Nice reports.

I also have the Renzetti Traveler. It is very well designed and useful, however I have had to repair it twice. The first repair was the re-drilling and re-threading of the pivot screw on the hardened steel cam attatchment, the second was to replace the knob which broke from the rotation screw on the C-clamp. Luckily I have access to a machine shop in which it is possible to do rudimentary repairs on aluminum as well as hardened steel.

Nonetheless, the tying instrument (vice, vise or whatever) is still in action and very productive. I am looking for a bomber tool for the next one. However, I must be a heavy-handed clutz, so I think that most people will not have these kinds of problems with Renzetti.

Good luck.

Sincerely, Chris.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I have the Peak vise and am liking it. With my crummy way of tying flies it helps with turning the fly to see all sides and I am now getting into spinning on it now(I would explain what I mean by as spinning,but then I'd have to kill you).

Jim

5. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    I, too have the Peak rotary vice. Love it. I bleeve they are made in Colorado somewhere.

6. VancouverFisher

VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

7. willieboat

willieboat Member

Seeking Silver,
    You don't need to spend a hundred bucks for a great vise. I've been using a Danville Model A for over twenty years. You can get three different jaws for it. I've replaced a couple of small parts that are always available.
    Not much snob appeal, but it's a great vise.

Don

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You can get a good vise for about $15.00. I know as my first one cost that much and it has had many flies tied on it. But then you feel that you have to step up to something better. And in your mind you feel that you are tying better. I don't know where I'm going with this so I will shut up now. :beathead:

Jim

9. Chicotello

Chicotello Member

Does anyone know of a local shop that sells the Peak vise?

Thanks,
    Mitch

10. Seeking_silver

Seeking_silver New Member

SO I finally got myself a vise that should treat me well for many years!! I picked up a vise of ebayRegal Vise It's a beauty... a little mor then I was looking to spend but it was exatly what I was looking for! So thanks guys for all you helpful knowledge!!!

Cheers :beer2:

Rob

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Go to their web site and do a search for dealers. That's how my wife did it for Christmas this year..

Jim

12. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

you'll be happy with a regal...I've had mine since around '92

:thumb: