SBS video - Iron Blue Dun

GAT

Dumbfounded
Hans, I'm glad you showed that one... I've been thinking about tying a soft hackle with a collar through the thorax area and the pattern is exactly the inspiration I needed.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Hans, we'd rather you post the videos here one at a time... the advertisers like that :D

(I still say a real bug has a head :rolleyes:)

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Hackling in reverse sure does present a nice head and reduce "bulkiness". How long has this technique been out there?

signed,

(only learned it in 2013 watching your videos)

Hackling in reverse sure does present a nice head and reduce "bulkiness". How long has this technique been out there?
That way of hackling, at least for wet flies, goes back many centuries. It has a number of advantages, and really no disadvantage I can list.

I use the same technique for my hackled dries. That is much less common among the tiers I encounter (translation: I am pretty much alone on this, or at least I was until I started posting the videos :cool: )

Here is a short video to demonstrate it on a simple hackled dry:

Cheers,
Hans W

Wrapping hackles in reverse or counter ribbing has been used for centuries, many spey and dee flies are tied that way. Back when I tied a lot of them, I tied many that way. Tie the hackle in at the head, wrapped back to the rear
and lock it down with the oval tinsel wrapped forward, works great. I've just not used the technique on small trout flies, I guess I'll have to rethink that.