Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Volunteer Opportunity - Teanaway Habitat Project

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Out of Here 
#1 ·
The Yakima River Headwaters TU Chapter is partnering with Mid-Columbia Fisheries Enhancement Group to provide thermal refuge for salmonids on the Teanaway next week, beginning Monday, August 3rd through Thursday, August 6th. Volunteers will walk the streambeds, placing woody debris and fallen trees across pools to provide shade for fish.

Please leave a comment here for more information, or click below for more information.

http://www.tu.org/events/teanaway-habitat-project-yakima-river-headwaters

Derek

#4 ·
Not trying to knock your efforts, but they did a thing like that on the Rapid River one time. They came in and put the logs in and chained them in place. They also used cables to do the work. The first high water in the spring came and washed damn near all of it away. When mother nature does this it beats all the work man tries to do.

But good luck on your efforts.

#7 ·
I live on the Teanaway. They may have been ordered to stop drawing water. In the morning when I walk I can hear at least six pumps pulling near my place. I saw the BLM guys and some of the locals excavating "IN" the river about a week ago to divert water to their pump. There is little to no enforcement in my neck of the woods that I can see.

#11 ·
Meet today at the Dickey Creek bridge by 10AM. The plan is to have one crew work upstream to the bridge, and one team work downstream from roughly the Indian Creek area.

Contact Rebecca Wassell at 509-281-1311.

Volunteers should call Rebecca the day before they’d like to help out, to be sure they meet up with a crew.

To be most helpful, each volunteer will need pruners or loppers, gloves, sun protection, food and water, and sturdy wading shoes.

#13 ·
I'll bite. Where is the Dickey Creek Bridge?

Meet today at the Dickey Creek bridge by 10AM. The plan is to have one crew work upstream to the bridge, and one team work downstream from roughly the Indian Creek area.

Contact Rebecca Wassell at 509-281-1311.

Volunteers should call Rebecca the day before they'd like to help out, to be sure they meet up with a crew.

To be most helpful, each volunteer will need pruners or loppers, gloves, sun protection, food and water, and sturdy wading shoes.

#14 ·
Greg, I apologize if you were able to help today and didn't locate the work crew(s). I am sharing logistics as I get them, and suggest calling Rebecca directly at the number provided to get specific instructions for Tuesday.

I will be working this project on Wednesday afternoon and leading a team on Thursday, and will provide more details as I have them.

There is a list of recommended items to bring that is important to follow.

Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.