W side lakes on fire now! Go!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Wallace, Oct 23, 2009.

1. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I'm going to try Lake 16 this weekend. All the rivers and streams have blown out here in Sketch county anyway, if I don't fish and catch something soon I'll end up spinning around in my bedroom with my arms like an airplane making stupid humming noises.
    Damn rain, just when things were starting to drop into decent shape.

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I just checked the stocking reports, and Beaver Lake in King Co just got 1,000 2 1/2 pounders on Tuesday. They should be getting hungry....

Lake I was fishing only got 12" to 14"ers, less than 1 lb each. But it got 4,000 of 'em two weeks ago, and they were ravenous! Fun on a 4 wt. but not much of a challenge. Simple fishing. Even a drunken caveman could do it. Was a year-round Mason Co lake, one I call "Narwhalsawzall." Another lake in the area got a similar planting.

I read in the Olympian fishing report on Thurs that Offut Lake is fishing well, with many anglers getting limits of 15" to 18"ers.

3. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

I definitely would be on Rattlesnake this weekend if my grades weren't so bad... I guess it's just studying and sports and no fishing until I get my grades up :( . My friends and I did well on RSL a few weekends ago, my buddy even caught two nice sized ones on dries casting from some stumps. I caught a couple with olive hale bopp leeches on an intermediate line. Go get em stockers

4. Groundresonance

Groundresonance New Member

I live in Seattle and would like to fish some of the lakes on the west side, but do not have a boat or float tube. Any recommendations for wade-able lakes this time of year?

5. Jim Wallace

That's a tall order! I can't even think of any "wadeable" lakes on this side that I fish. They all seem to drop off fairly rapidly from their banks. I've read a report by someone on this board about wading for carp in Green Lake. I know of some lakes with docks you can cast from, and a few lakes with small sections of open, grassy bank. (Those are usually occupied by shore-bound powerbaiters). But that's about it.

Thinking back to when i started fly fishing lakes, after the first time trying it from shore I became determined to find a boat asap.

There's gotta be some wadeable lakes. I just don't know about 'em. There's hundreds, maybe even thousands of lakes on this side! I only know a small handful.

If you want to fly fish lakes, you really should get some kind of boat. Either an inflatable craft (good if you are short on storage space) of some kind, or a small skiff or pram or even a canoe. Plenty of used cheap car-toppers around everywhere I look for sale in peoples yards when I hit the road. Also plenty show up on Craig'sList.

6. BFK

BFK Member

Haven't checked this out, so it may not be accurate, but I'd look at some of the reservoirs. This time of the year, they're in drawdown mode, and that exposes a lot of wadeable shallows. You won't be having the pristine, lake-in-the-woods type of fishing, but you will be fishing.

7. Jim Wallace

BFK you just joggled my memory. Back at the 2004 AEG "Cowlitz Party" we camped at Riffe Lake Campground and were able to cast from the bank due to drawn-down water. I hooked a trout when I tried casting from the bank, and several other people did better than that. I think that was in early Nov.
    The bank there was kind of steep, mostly clay-like, but you could walk down the face of it. I found a rock to stand on near the water's edge.

8. rymo

rymo Member

Islander - any news from Lone Lake? I'll be over there all next week and need a go-no-go on lugging my tube & gear over :)

-Ryan

9. Islander

Islander Steve

It's rainy and windy right now. The report is that Wed. is suppose to be just cloudy. If so, I'll hit it then and let you know. Next week's weather report doesn't look great either, but around here you never know.

10. rymo

rymo Member

Thanks! Could have read the other two threads on Lone as well I suppose :) We've got a family cabin on Bells Beach, so Lone is my vacation fishing spot.

11. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

Groundresonance you can try Rattlesnake Lake in North Bend for some shore fishing close to Seattle. Throw soft hackles and buggers in various colors on a slow sinking line and you should find a few trout.

For anyone using boats on trailers at Rattlesnake; the shoreline below the launch is blocked by rocks due to the low water. Don't bring it unless you can carry it or feel comfortable dragging it over boulders.

12. BFK

BFK Member

Riffe was one I was thinking of--particularly the south side. In the dim, murky past I've done fairly well there, but in spring rather than fall. There is good access and shallow banks below Swofford Pond that would work. I was also thinking of a reservoir here on the OP, but I won't go into that one.

13. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

not to brag but my buddies and I got the first keg of AK winter sold this year... It was gooood

14. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Lemme guess...you killed it! :)

15. Groundresonance

Groundresonance New Member

Thanks for the input, everyone!