Wader or not to Wader what a stupid question.....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Yadwick, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yadwick

Yadwick Active Member

So recently i was fishing in an area that has potential for wild steelhead to be encountered, and there was a large percentage of other fisherman around that did not have waders on. Now help me out here, but how the hell do you keep a fish in the water if you arn't wearing waders? It seemed extremely unethical to me.

Now my real question is - When would you step in a confront or raise a question about what someone else is doing on the river? A bonked wild fish? Poor handling practices? Not wearing waders...?

And then how do you have sweeping change implemented in areas that don't really seem to want it? This was kind of ironically noted in the chum....

http://www.moldychum.com/chumion-id...udy-claiming-that-wild-steelhead-breathe-air/

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

They probably weren't worried about catching one because they know there aren't any wild steelhead left in Washington rivers.

Adam Saarinen likes this.
  3. Philonius

Philonius Active Member

I see the same thing happen on beaches where wild Coho retention is prohibited, and the possibility of catching one is quite real. While removing one from the water isn't forbidden, the standard practice seems to be to drag them up on the rocks and release them by kicking them back into the water which is obviously harmful and disrespectful.
    I usually don't say anything, but always feel I should. Part of the problem is that I'm not always that good at being diplomatic when dealing with Deplorables, and am afraid of what I might say, or their reaction. If I see a wild fish bonked, then it certainly is time to say something.
    Things like this are a big reason that I prefer to avoid crowded/popular fisheries.

4. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Easy. I have a big net and as they are playing the fish, I grab my net and wade into the water and say "Here, let me land that fish for you because you don't have waders on. I wouldn't want you to get a ticket for dragging the fish up on the bank." I once spent the better part of the afternoon doing this for 3 gear guys who I had already witnessed dragging an ESA-listed wild steelhead and an ESA-listed bull trout up on the bank.

I had a blast as they turned out to be nice guys and they saw not all fly anglers were stuckup a-holes. At some point, I did gently suggest at least rubber boots.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    H_Reid, Deep Swing, Cruik and 10 others like this.
  5. Old trout

Old trout Active Member

Well done Freestone. I'm not sure I could have been that diplomatic.

Freestone likes this.
  6. Shad

Shad Active Member

Sometimes, I go waderless, but I always wade. This time of year, waders on.