Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

wading jacket vs rain jacket

31K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  Darthmonkey 
#1 ·
Need a jacket for fishing and shit when I saw what Simms is asking for there jackets. Is there really a big difference between a wading jacket and rain jacket. I just want something that will keep me dry. I'll use my layers to keep me warm. Guys got any suggestions for something well under 200 and closer to 100?

#33 ·
Being one who enjoys the finer things in life, like swinging for chromers in the pissing rain, I feel like spending atleast good money on a rain jacket that is quality ( I use a Simms G3 and for less wet situations, a Marmot rain shell) is pretty important. That is if you like being dry and comfortable. I know its badass being all wet and cold and fishing anyway, but you'll have a much better time with quality raingear, like quality waders. Also, in my opinion theres nothing available that works as well as Gore Tex

#34 ·
Started with a cheap Northface rain shell, but after a full day on the water in the rain, my shoulders were wet. I then started using my Outdoor Research backpacking shell which worked GREAT! It's a little big so I can layer, it's packable, and it's goretex. I then stumbled on a killer deal I couldn't pass up for a Redington wading jacket...I have yet to use it, but by God as soon as it rains I'm going to put that thing to the test!

In my mind, the only real reason to have a dedicated wading jacket is for the pockets and neoprene cuffs that prevent water from seeping back up your sleeves. If this isn't a big deal to you, go with your regular hiking shell and call it good.

#35 ·
I uses a couple of different jackets.
If I plan to hike a lot or it is fairly warm, I use a Simms PacLite jacket. Good for beach fishing since it packs down to a small size.
If sitting in the driftboat or raft, I like the Patagonia River Salt jacket.
I also have a Helly Hansen rubber rain coat. It is great on chilly mornings or running up river in the sled. It does a super job of breaking the wind.
If I plan to row all day I pass on the rubber rainjacket regardless of how cold it it.
SF

#36 ·
The only differences that matter (to me) in terms of construction are the gasket-style cuffs at the wrists and the shorter length. Very nice to be able to dunk your arm into the water when you need to without having a ton of water leak in. Doubly nice not to have that same water flow down the sleeve and along your trunk the next time you lift your arm to cast....

The shorter cut is way less important, but it's a feature I like for wading.

It looks like the Patagonia Deep Water Jacket (what I've got) has been discontinued for some reason, so you should be able to pick one up for between $100 and $200.

The design/quality is great, and it's light and packable enough that I never think twice about bringing it along during the rainy season.

#44 ·
I know it is late, and im pretty drunk 'nshit but think of this, back in thr day I dropped like 4 bills o. A simms g3 wading jacket, it still works after 7 years. Now you may get a few seasons out of it, or you may end uo returning to cabelas every other month replacing the bitch. Me I'd rather drop the 5 bills on the slick jacket knowing that this thjng was designed by hardcore pnw steelhead junkies and get a decades worth of use out of her. Fishing gear ain't like girkfriends, you shouldn't be uograding to the newer model every other year. Jis typin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.