wading jacket vs rain jacket

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DanielOcean, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

This may be getting slightly off topic, but..
    I personally don't like the jackets with all the puffy pockets out front. I've had many of these, but using a spey rod I find these pockets interfering at times. Am looking for something with no pockets in the front, something that fits tight on the front side and am leaning toward some conventional quality rain jacket. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate their input. I carry my stuff in a sling pack that has a waistband, so don't need the storage space pockets provide.

2. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

how many days are you going to be fishing in the winter/spring? if it is more than a few, i would recommend bucking up and buying a good quality gore-tex rain jacket. you can get by on less, but comfort equals more time fishing... which equals more fish hooked.

i know they're expensive, but they last a long time. my simms guide jacket is over 4 years old and is in perfect shape. i have an even older lightweight simms gore-tex that has lasted forever. i have quality arcteryx ski pants and jacket that i bought back in 2002 (from olympic mountaineering... where waters west is now) that are just as good now after hundreds of days of wear, including working in them.

good quality gear is expensive, but it lasts far longer and costs less in the long run imo.

chris

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I tend to agree with this philosophy.

The Marmot jacket I mentioned in my prior post I've had for 15 years (got it on discount at Sierra Trading Post) and although I've had to renew the DWR treatment a few times, it's still nearly as good as new. I just got tired of having the bottom dragging in the saltwater hence the new shorter jacket.

4. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

Found a good deal on a gore-tex wading jacket for cheap. We will see how it goes.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:

Patagonia River Salt jacket. It had front pockets but they are inside and not bellow pockets. Very flat in front if you don't fill the pockets.

6. C&CRods

C&CRods not your average member

Its easy for fly fishing to be a rich mans sport. I've been fishing in a 50 rain jacket for quite some time. I can honestly say I haven't lost a fish, gotten wet or felt unequipped without a wading jacket. There is an expensive version of everything. Being functional and packable for trips Is all I want.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I told me wife I would like a wading Jacket. She bought me one. It's a Gore Tex. Got it on sale at Cabela's. I got it three years ago and it's still hanging in my closet. I don't go out in the rain and fish anymore. Hell, I might melt.

I think the reason for it was I just would like to have one.

It was under 200 smackers.

8. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

hey man I know it is pricey, but the money I spent on my simms guide jacket was the best investment i have made when it comes to fishing.

9. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

John,
    Yes, that is the kind of jacket I'm talking about. Doing more research and see the Redington and the Hardy and the Guideline jackets are similar.
    Thx.

10. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:

Dan, I love the River Salt. I don't have a lot of experience with the Redington or Hardy, but I have heard bad things about the Guideline. Orangeradish had a Guideline and it leaked out of the box. Then the warrenty issues that insued were a nightmare.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Troutpounder,

Either you're exaggerating, or your priorities don't add up as a fisherman IMO. I think rainwear is important, but it's way the fukk down the list in importance and best investments in fishing the way I see it. I don't have to go fishing in the rain, but rainwear, even mediocre rainwear, allows me to so. Far more important and best investments I ever made when it comes to fishing were a rod and reel, both cheap, a decent tapered fly line, and some flies. Even waders are more important and a better fishing investment in terms of opening up more fishing opportunity. Rain gear is on the list, but it's way down the list compared to other things that are actually essential for fishing. Yeah, I'm being an ass, but you're way over-stating the value of your Simms wading jacket.

Sg

12. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, the Patagucci seems like a nice piece of work but for much less than half the price of that particular jacket (MSRP of $349) one might consider the L.L. Bean wading jacket.

Check it out here: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3644...-paclite-stowaway-wading-jacket-with-gore-tex.

Granted it has the front bellows pockets that someone said they don't like but it's constructed of Goretex Paclite which AFAIK has proven to be a reliable material and it's pretty lightweight compared to others.

I also like Freestone's recommendation of the Precip jacket. Although it's a bit longer than most "wading jackets" I've always had good luck with Marmot products and the price is right (especially if you purchase it from STP!).

13. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Totally agree!

I love my G3 jacket (or any other well made fishing rain jacket) over my regular rain jackets because:

- Its super durable
    - The hand pockets are perfect location for my non swinging hand
    - I can cinch the sleeves down when I reach into the water without getting a wet arm
    - It has enough pockets to store what I need on the water without being in the way of my casting...and more importantly when I'm rowing.
    - Its had a bunch of hooks in it and somehow still keeps me dry

I've had my G3 jacket for a few years now so now I'm in the mode of having to retreat it every year with the gore-tex restore in the dryer stuff. I will continue to rely on this jacket until it falls apart which I don't expect that to happen any time soon. I stuggled with paying those dollars for the jacket but in my case it was money that well invested because I'm in it all of the time...and staying dryer than a regular rain jacket.

Good luck in your decisions,
    Christian

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

For years I used a regular rain coat. It fit over my vest when ever I wore one. Cheapest 20 bucks I spent to keep dry. Yes I would sweat in it but something like a sweat shirt would soak that up and I'd be dry.

If it hadn't of been stolen, I'd still be wearing it.

15. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

I too for years fished in a cheap rain jacket that worked fine. I usually didn't fish in the rain until I started steelheadeing, then found the need for a more lightweight rain jacket. Being the cheap SOB I am, I waited until the perfect gortex one (Cloudveil) came up on a discount site and got it. And what I mean by perfect is it was cheap, right around $100. I have used it for 5 years now and love it.