Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Waiting Period Chum

4K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Ben Guss 
#1 ·
Alright, got the boat out yesterday to scope some water. I found a large group chum at the mouth of a stream. They were jumping, slashing, and finning 360 degrees around my boat for about 3 hours while I tried everything I had to get a bite....and nada! :mad: I'm new to this so maybe it's normal but damn it's frustrating with all these pigs just taunting me from every direction! What do you guys use while targeting chum in the salt, and more specifically do you have any waiting period specific flies for chum? What about presentation? I tried everything I could think of but in general is a fast "coho" retrieve the ticket or a slower retrieve better? Also are the fish feeding as they're finning and jumping or are they just screwing around? I didn't see any bait in the area.

#35 ·
Wasn't Chico Creek the location that caused the "they put the porta potty in the wrong location" debate on the board a few years ago. :rofl:
I'll pass on Chico, Minter and Hoodsport for chumlies. Lots of other good locations to fish with a lot less people, nets etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.