Walther P22....?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh, Feb 6, 2010.

1. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

iagree
    Exactly what he said....ribka that is!!!!

Jc

2. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Agree with above.
    I think revolvers are better starting point for most novices and are pretty cool even after the novice stage.
    In re autoloaders...the different designs have much different feel regarding grip angle and function.
    Try a few and get to know them.
    I try to emulate the grip angle of the centerfire I use most.
    Browning Buckmark feels about right to me, as I like to shoot 1911's.
    Ruger 22/45 would be another choice.
    I'd love to have a quality 22lr revolver.
    buy what you like.
    If you want to demo a few different 22's..PM me.

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Josh, I think you read too much into what I stated.

Combat pistols as such have fixed sights, not what I would want in a target pistol.

You don't strike me as a gangsta type, more of a '70's pimp based on your avatar...(humor)

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Well I am a dead ringer for the bad guys in 1970's cop dramas, so that is true.

As for the fixed sights, as I mentioned previously, I'm not looking for this gun to be a great target gun. I'm just looking to have fun and to teach my wife (and perhaps sons someday) how to handle a pistol and be comfortable around it.

However, the pimp in me does have to agree with the previous "revolver" suggestions. Perhaps some sort of snub-nose wood-grip thing that would look at home mugging a sterotypical 1970's disco couple on "Starsky and Hutch".

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Hey Josh, For what it's worth, learning how to sight in a weapon is a pretty important part of learning to "handle" one. Teaching someone how to get a tight 3 shot group and how to move it by adjusting the sites is probably the most effective way to teach someone who knows nothing about shooting. Just something to think about when making a fixed vs adjustable site decision. I'd look into revolvers as previously mentioned too. The design sorta forces you to shoot a pistol properly. Bad habits can happen if you learn on an automatic, especially if it has a light trigger.

6. wet line

wet line New Member

Ruger makes thier Single Six revolver that comes with an interchangeable cylinder for 22 mags. It also has adjustable sights.

It may be one of the safest style handguns made. Single action revolvers require the hammer to be pulled pack to fire. It is pretty difficult to get an accidental discharge and when learning that is very important. Semi autos require discipline and good handling techniques. It is way too easy to accidentally touch off a round in semi autos. It only takes one accidental discharge to really ruin someones day and maybe life. A 22 is very lethal up close and personal.

Dave

7. LMFOA

LMFOA New Member

Josh -

Unless you've had combat control training or other such tactical exposure - and even if you did - you might want to check out Insights Training (Google them). They have a one day, basic pistol course, and most of the people who take it are not typical gun people, but rather people who never thought they'd be in a pistol course. Your wife would find that a very supportive environment. The night before rent The Brave One with Jody Foster - just to set the mode. ;-))

It is always bad news to teach a spouse something like shooting, skiing, paddling, etc. Leave it to the professionals.

8. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

If you plan to buy to also have wife and or kids learn on one thing to really think about is the size of the handle. If you have large or even average size hands for a man what you find comfortable to hold might not work for your wife and or kids. A gun that does not fit right can really turn some one off to the sport.
    My Mom was lucky when my Father got her into shooting that Dad after seeing many of his freinds try to get their wifes into the shooting arts and the wives quite after a few times trying saw that a big reason they did not stick with was they were given guns that did not fit them well. In fact many husbands gave their wives guns that were their own cast offs that they themsleves did not like to shot. My dad was smart and before she even shot a single round bought her a rifle fit for her small arms and did the same with the shooty and went with a 32 cal revolver rather then the more common 357 mag that most shot in their events. Mom now does well in all 3 stages in the event shoting and has the ribbons and trophies to prove it.
    Never shot a P22 before so I have no idea of their handle size.

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

A valid point.

FWIW though, when I think of learning (or teaching) something, there are two phases.

1. Learning to do something safely
    THEN
    2. Learning to do something well

But of course there is a lot of crossover between the two. Learning bad habits is never safe or useful for doing things well.

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

That's one advantage of the P22, it's really a compact gun. I can't imagine a small woman (or even a large kid) being unhappy holding it. In fact, I would imagine that people with large hands would dislike it a bit. However, I'm not a 'meatpaw' type fellow. So no worries for me.

11. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Not a bad idea at all.

12. Josh

Josh dead in the water

FWIW, after trying a Buckmark out at the range, I couldn't deny just how nice of a gun it is. So it jumped to the top of the list and I picked one up the other week. I'm sure I'll end up with a P22 at some point, just because of how fun it is. But the Buckmark is just flat out a nice gun. Roper was correct.

Although it is worth noting that the Buckmark Camper no longer comes with three magazines. They only give you one now.

13. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Wow, interesting thread. I've never split hairs on .22 pistols before, I've shot most of these, and though variable in terms of intrinsic safety, they're all pretty nice can shooters.

Though Josh, if the Ruger looks too much like a Luger to you, you should see my Stoeger .22 Luger. It looks and shoots a lot like a Luger. And it doesn't look much like the Ruger. It's much more blocky.

Cheers.

14. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I have a P22. I have only shot it once but it ran perfect. My understanding is to stay away from the the older ones. It took them some time to get the bugs out. I got mine "free" with a larger purchase at Wades in Bellevue. Ill keep it for my boys when they get a little older.

15. Man, would love to see you gun locker sometime if Wades gave this gun to you for 'free' Must've spent a small fortune over there....