WTB WANT to BUY - Sage Switch Rod (5wt. prefered)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by USMC VET, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I use Scandi and Skagit heads in the 280-300 grain on this rod, or what I do sometimes, is use my 5wt WFF line if I plan on just over-heading it.

As for reels, you'll want one that that is sized to balance the rod. The Echo Ion is a great inexpensive reel, a Redington Drift or Rise, Lamson Guru or Allen reels are all inexpensive and solid choices that won't break the bank.
    Your local fly shop should carry at least one of the reels I mentioned above and can probably personally help you fit one that feels good to you.

2. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Thanks for the information, I have several reels probably will take one off of my larger single hand rods and see how it feels... I was trying to figure out do I use a standard size reel in a 7/8 wt. or maybe a mid arbor or large arbor.. on my 8wt switch rod I purchased a 9/10 large arbor reel and It held the line perfectly and was a good balanced fit for the rod but with a 4wt. I am not so sure on reel size.

Also, do you have any experience with the airflow Skagit switch fly line? their 4wt. is a 360 grains which seems to be far out of the grain window for the Echo 4wt. per their recommendations.. not sure why they have such a high grain for the 4wt

take care, Ron

3. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

I went looking for this rod on their site and I could not find it, they must have taken off the listing or I am just not looking in the right place. thanks, Ron

4. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

For my 7wt switch, I use an Allen Alpha III in the 9/10 size. I imagine the same ratio scaled down would be fine for the 4wt.
    The reel that I have my skagit line on is a mid-arbor, where as my scandi is on an Echo Ion, which is large. It's a personal choice for preference as long as you aren't sacrificing balance and efficiency for aesthetics. If it looks good and doesn't work there is no point in wasting your time.
    As for a full switch line, I've never used one. Both my set ups (skagit and scandi), as well as my 7wt swtich set up are heads attached to a running line.
    The skagit head for the 4wt is a Beula Tonic attached to some random mono running line (can't remember), and the Scandi is an Airflo attached to SA running line. My 7wt is a Rio Skagit flight attached to Slickshooter.

Nothing against a full out switch line, but I've never used one- maybe someone else who has can chime in.

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

these lines perfectly match the Echo SR 4wt:

Airflo Scandi Compact 240gr using poly leaders as tips.
    Rio Scandi Versitip in 4wt- comes with all tips you need. Add a custom cut 10ft of t8 for deep swings
    Rio switch 4/5

I would not recommend a skagit line for this rod. You are better off with a scandi.

6. RustE

RustE drifting about

SA Skagit Extreme heads at 280gr or 320gr would be an option for using T-8 or M.O.W. Light tips.

Mr. Williams has good advice: Scandi heads and 'switch' lines generally work better with polyleaders or plain mono leaders.

7. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Hey Tom I ordered the Scandi but in the 270gr which is the recommended max for this rod, I like it to dig in and be a bit slow so hopefully the 270gr will be sufficient Ron

8. Thomas Williams

Im not great at adding grain weights of tips and using the formula but I think you should be just fine as long as you use lighter tips.If you buy the complete set of 10ft trout polyleaders you will cover every water condition. I think you should be fine though. Also what running line did you get? I got the rio powerflex .024 I think, and its nice. Let me know how it casts and if you like that line. Ive got the versatip and thought about the scandi compact with polys. The rod is definitely fast action. Strong but still alot of fun on small trout. It will definitely handle big ones however. The first fish I hooked on it was a 7lb rainbow out of the truckee river. Put up a hell of a fight.

9. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

I Purchased the same, powerflex .024 I also have .024 in Scientific Anglers and a new spool of AMNESIA in 30lb so I may try all three and see which works best

I purchased the Airflo line and polyleaders so overall it should work fine, unfortunately the biggest trout we have here is cutthroat in fresh water.. they run 1-2 lbs 14-21 inches
    based on your big trout catches with this rod I assume it will handle my local cutthroat without problem. I envy everyone who lives where big trout are abundant.. but likewise they may not have steelhead either. I have a new Redington Rise 7/8 reel that I am going to try on this rod to see how it feels and balances.. not sure if that reel will be too big or not..

Ron

10. Thomas Williams

That reel is perfect for the line. Should balance just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.