Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Want to Plan a Packraft Trip?

6K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Shapp 
#1 ·
Anyone have interest in planning out a 4 day hike/packraft/fish trip sometime this spring - I'm thinking may, june, or later in sept, oct.

The idea would be to hike in at least a dozen miles, then raft back through some water that doesn't get a ton of pressure.

If you've got legs - might as well use them while you can :)

I'm not dead set on a particular location, but wouldn't mind dropping some coin on a quick flight to CO (black canyon), MT (John Day), or ID (?).

-Jesse

#34 ·
View attachment 38572 View attachment 38573 View attachment 38574 View attachment 38575 View attachment 38576

As far as the kyakers/Rafters go they will be up there when the rivers flowing about 700-1000 cfs, up there thats usually in November or June into August. Not really much to see after you push off from the campground not really any place to watch em run unless you repell into the canyon. It would be tough to predict when guys would be up there, not a real popular spot. Theres only one outfit that runs the lower section in a raft commercaily.

As far as the float we ran it took place in July and the flow was about 1900 cfs, I would recomend running it a little lower.Most likly in Auguest would be the best month.

The pack/raft plan could take place much farther up the river it would inlcude alot of hiking/packing, but I would be really interested to revisit this idea in July and start making some concrete plans

If find yourself up there the campground is closed but its about 1/2 mile hike down to the river but its a great place to burn a weekend afternoon

#35 ·
The nice thing about using an alpacka and going light is its really easy to portage serious whitewater and logjams.

I would highly recommend the S. Fork Flathead. I've done it twice (the past two summers), and it was awesome. I hired a horsepacker to go in, but it would be hikeable. Kind of a hassle getting your rig to Meadow Creek, and then getting to the start point, though (setting the shuttle).

The Selway would be another good trip with an alpacka. Hike in from the end of the road as far as you want, then float back out. No shuttle hassles. Probably better later in the summer, though, after the flows subside a bit.

The Wenaha would fun, too, but a packraft isn't really necessary, because there's a good trail next to the river the whole way.

In July, I'm taking my alpacka up to Alaska to do the Swan Lake Trail System (http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails/ats/ken/swanlk.htm). Float/portage 10-12 lakes to the Moose River, 17 miles down the Moose to the Kenai, then 4 miles down the Kenai to my Dad's place. That was one of the first trips I did when I bought my alpacka 5 years ago, and definitely worthy of a repeat.

Whatever you end up doing, have fun and be safe!

#36 ·
The Selway would be another good trip with an alpacka. Hike in from the end of the road as far as you want, then float back out. No shuttle hassles. Probably better later in the summer, though, after the flows subside a bit.

Whatever you end up doing, have fun and be safe!
Don't forget that you need a permit to float the Selway (above Selway Falls) between May 15th and August 1st. Sadly, after August 1st, most of the rapids turn into giant bone gardens and are a pain in the ass to negotiate or portage.

#37 ·
I am actually putting together a Selway trip for the second week in August. Any IK paddlers or packrafters out there want to join? planning to fly to Shearer from Grangeville, float the wild/scenic stretch and go all the way to lowell, or possibly kooskia. week long trip. We will then head over to SF clearwater and do some rock climbing around the lightning dome area. The permit season is May 15 to July 31. Aug 1 is a free for all, in every sense of the word. One Aug 1 I heard there was 22 parties that launched. During low water it is fairly easily done in IKs and packrafts by class III boaters. Rafts of just about any flavor are another matter when the gage hits about 1.0 ft. Any class III paddlers welcome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.