Wanted: 12wt saltwater rod

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by pilsner, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilsner

pilsner New Member

Anyone looking to unload an albacore rod?

2. NCFLY

NCFLY Member

Unless these are some monster albies, you'll be happier with a 10wt. Easier to cast and will easily land 15+ lb fish. Heck you can land a decent size tarpon on a 10 weight.

I happen to have an Orvis TL 9' 10 weight that has performed admirably on albacore in the past. Shoot me a note if you're interested and I'll forward you some pictures.

Mike

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

The albies out here are all about 28lbs, and a 10wt won't effectively cut it. Pilsner, got a TFO Bluewater 12wt in the gear program if you want to try it out.

4. Don Barton

Don Barton Member

I have a three piece, nine foot Sage RPLXi in both a 10 and a 12 weight. The 10 wt has seen 20 days of good use. The 12 wt has seen almost no use. I took it on a trip to Mexico but only fished it one afternoon. Sadly it is still a virgin.

Will take $250 for the 10 weight and $325 for the 12 weight.

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Got to agree with Chris that a 10 weight is not enough stick to bring tuna quickly to hand so that you can get fish under control enough to allow others on the boat to fish. If you are fishing from your own boat then a 10 wt will do just fine, but with the 12 you can control the fish enough to stay out of others way as best as possible, this is needed when fishing with others on a charter.
    I take 3 12 wt rods with me on every trip. The 12 WT that gets the call every time is my 12Wt TFO bought from All About the Fly.

6. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

I'd take Chris up on the offer from the gear program esp if you dont plan to use the rod often. I haven't personally used the Blue Water rod however, Steve Saville from the site used it last year for tuna and had great things to say about it. I have a TFO TicrX 12wt that works great however its not for sale.

7. Duane J

Duane J Member

Read all of the above; motivated by a guy with a handle like "Pilsner.' a VERY GOOD Chech beer!! I have a Sage Model GFL-3 RPLX for 12 line (9'0"). Used one afternoon in Costa Rica; cast well, landed 35# handily. Since I was only one using flyrod I retired it for "heavier artillary???" In it's original sage tube. I paid retail from local shop. I could be talked into separating with it for $250.00 over two beers at a pub on California St, West Seattle. If your interested e-mail me at djflyfish@aol.com

8. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Whatever rod you choose, I would recommend putting that Abel BG 4 from the classifieds on it.......:rofl::rofl::rofl: sorry, couldn't resist.

9. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I have a mint factory built sage rplxt 9' 12wt. that I would sell with a line or two for $250.
    Let me know. ps-I also have a matching 10 wt with lines.

10. pilsner

pilsner New Member

Thanks to everyone for the input. I just found an 11wt I can borrow for my trip this weekend. It will be good to give that a whirl and go from there. I'll let you know how it goes.

Roger

11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Good luck with an 11 wt. It might not be enough. You can probably land the fish but it will take a while to do it, especially if it's in the 25 lb. class. They take numerous long runs and go deep. Make sure you have lots of backing on the reel. I personally use a Ross Momentum 8 on my 13 wt. rod and it has about 450 yards of backing plus the line.

12. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

How many pieces is the rod?

13. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    Denny- it is a 3 piece

14. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

A lot of fine feedback here. Let me tell you why my suggestion for Pilsner to try out the TFO Bluewater 12wt out of the gear program was far better than the other suggestions....

Pilsner popped over to pickup the rod, along with the Loop 9/13 with a 500gr line, leadered and ready to fish. Pilsner has a brewery (Georgetown Brewing Company) and was kind enough to bring me a 1/2 gallon. Every beer I drink at this point has me think'n that, yeah, my suggestion was just way, way better than any of yours. ;-)

Thanks Pilsner.

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

Manny's Pale Ale? Great Stuff! :beer2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.