Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanted Kayak for FF Gear

T 
1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  doublecluck 
#1 ·
I'm interested in a low maintenance fishing capable kayak. Let me know what you have available and what from my Flyfishing gear collection you would like in trade.

#4 ·
Steve, the NRS Pike looks promising, but I have an inflatable solo boat for lakes and rivers that rows. Not sure that I'm not looking for something a bit larger so that I can take one of the girls along too. I also have a small raft, 12' Saturn, that technically can be paddled like a kayak, but it is pretty wide for that.

Swing and a miss on the Chupacabra!

Thanks Ben, I'll check that site and start my education on kayaks. I'm thinking a plastic moulded kayak that will not need any extra care and take the abuse that me and my clan will put upon it. Beaching it on rocks, barnacles, dragging it and tossing it from the roof rack to ground.

#5 ·
Ed, Are you looking for a SINK (sit inside) or SOT (sit on top)?

If you can find a Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem, you can convert that back and forth to a single. Its big enough to take your kids out. Stable enuff to stand and cast in. Paddles faster, but turns slower than my U-12. However, Like discussed elsewhere, that design is basically a "low-profile canoe" with a trick hull, and is best for smoother waters than a SOT can handle.
There are some tandem models of SOT yaks that work OK as solo craft. Most are at least 13' or more in length, and weigh a bit more than a solo craft. Advantage of an SOT is self-draining hulls thru scupper holes, easy righting and re-entry, and sealed hatches to keep your stuff dry if you capsize.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. It would help if I knew what you were looking for.

#6 ·
JAWS, thanks for chiming in. I know CB and you fish from these crafts and I have read tons by both of you. I am hoping to find a good compromise boat that will allow me and maybe a small chick. Hold my fishing gear. Be pretty stable. Not paddle like a hog. Allow still, slow moving and salt adventures within reason. No real surf or rapids. IK, SI, SOT are all okay if they do the trick. I have paddled sit in kayaks a little bit and like them. Never used a sit on top. Thanks again. I'm money poor but family and fishing gear rich! (sorry, no family trades for the kayak though)

#10 ·
Ed, I saw a couple of Old Town "Loon" tandems on craigslist, Mercer Is. I think the asking price was 500 ea.
Another similar tandem craft (maybe) to look for is the Wilderness Systems "Pamlico."
Again, if you see a good deal on Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem, that would be a great poly boat for your stated purpose.

#13 ·
Hey Ed,

Second the recommendation on the 14.5 Native Ultimate. Mine takes me and the wife around lakes and slow rivers. Handles great, stable, and very fish and flyfish-friendly (i regularly stand in it to cast and play fish when it's not windy) and light enough to be easily portaged/launched by you.

Not for trade tho - I've got more FF'in gear than I need and that yak is one of my favorites to fish from.

Seen a few on Craigs list as well - good luck in your search!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.