WANTED - Outboard with Jet Unit

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by WeightForward, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WeightForward

WeightForward Member

A friend of mine, who is not on the internet, wants to buy a 35-50 hp outboard outfitted with a jet pump. If you've got one that's available, or know of one, let me know and I'll pass the info along.

2. SB

SB New Member

>A friend of mine, who is not on the internet, wants to buy
    >a 35-50 hp outboard outfitted with a jet pump. If you've
    >got one that's available, or know of one, let me know and
    >I'll pass the info along.
    >I've got a 1986 Model 30HSP Mariner, elec start, and all the controls. I doubt there are 50 hours on this motor. If this will fit your needs let me know and I'll give you a price.

SB

3. WeightForward

WeightForward Member

Sorry SB, but 30 HP just won't do the job. Realistically, we're looking for something closer to 40 HP or, better yet, 50 HP.

WF

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    How big of boat are you using?

I've ran quite a few, and have owned a couple, but what size are you wanting to run with only a 35-50hp jet? I hope a small boat, because you're losing a good 30% off the total horsepower off the getgo. I was running a 75hp on my 14' sled (but, it was heavier, a solid 7' wide for only being a 14' and heavy guage aluminum). It ran just about perfect with 2, but you put a 3rd in boat and it dogged instantly. If you are running same size boat or bigger, you'll want a bigger engine. My Dad is running a 140 hp on his 18' sled and powers it perfectly.

Didn't mean to pry, just making sure you don't underpower your boat. If you're buying a jet for reason's it's intended for, you'll want enough juice to put her on plane fast and draft minimal water. They key with jets is to have just enough juice to power the boat fully loaded, but not to OVERPOWER it. Too much power and your boat will be very unstable in the water. Had a friend with a custom Almar 14' (but WAY too narrow) with a 140 hp merc pump. If you didn't have 4 guys and tons of hunting gear (he used it for ducks) you couldn't keep the thing on the water. We tried it fishing once with only two and barely had motor going.

5. WeightForward

WeightForward Member

How big of boat are you using?

Steelheader69,
    My fishing partner (he's the one who's looking for an outboard and jet) had a 40 HP and jet on his 16' boat when he lived in Alaska. He mostly runs small rivers and is lightly loaded. For his purposes, he found 40 HP to be just about perfect. Thanks for the reply.

WF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.