Washington we have a problem ( wolf attack )

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom O'Riley, Oct 10, 2011.

1. genesismoon

genesismoon New Member

I am serious, there are pictures available, but am new to this site and don't know if I can post pics. It is unfortunate that those who live in the cities are unaware or do not care about the rural wolf problems, but the bad effects will trickle down to you eventually. That will happen when these wolves start to impact the farmers and their livestock or when you come camping or visiting in Eastern WA. There is quite a ruckus going on in Idaho between the Pro-wolfer vs. the Anti-wolfers. After this turkey day is over, will try to find you some links and/or pics for you so you can be made aware of what is happening in Idaho and what we can look forward to (not in a good way) as Washingtonians and as these wolves start to impact our state. Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for your comments.

2. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

No opinions were harmed in the production of this thread.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Genesismoon,

Go back and read the first 17 pages of this thread. There are already a bunch of wolf scare links and pictures posted. One of the reasons that this thread has gone on as long as it has is because much of the anti-wolf sentiment has been rooted in emotion-based opinion, with a mix of facts. That would include your prior posts above. One of the qualities of this forum is that members are quick to see when someone is bullshitting them. And bullshit has the invariable tendency to discount even the good and valid information included by posters. Any member who has participated in this forum very long learned quickly that in order to be taken seriously by persons other than dipshits, you need to post verifiable facts and leave the BS and your emotions at home.

Welcome to WFF.

Sg

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Who do we call or write at NMGS.NOAA about the stupidity of the spring C&R cutthroat closure?

Go Sox,
    cds

5. generic

generic Active Member

Post your picks, I want to see this "cage" for kids... I might be able to use something like that to help the wife find peace and quite while I'm at work.

In all seriousness, it can be a polarizing topic. Check out that book Jesse spoke of a while back. There's also a PBS show that is a great watch as well. But don't mistake the true concern with those who just want to chime in and state their ignorance. Sometimes it is better to be thought of as a fool, then speak and remove all doubt.

Sg is right however, you can say what you want, but it needs to be backed up with facts. But still, I need...my wife needs that cage. :clown:

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'm waiting for this threads page count to hit 20+ before I start spending any heavy ammo ;)

7. TheHunt

TheHunt Member

There are issues with the wolves. If you do shoot one just walk away like nothing happened then drive like heck. Idaho has lost millions of dollars in Fish and Game revenue because of the wolves. The Washington wolf commision will be sending out their recommendations pretty soon. I personally carry most of the time and I am not too worried. As soon as the ranchers start sueing the government for loss of property then you might see a difference.

With one of the saving money ideas is to stop the free legal to anyone group (Wacko or not) can get reimbersed. The groups who cannot afford the legal will be doomed. Sounds like progress to me.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

TheHunt,

Is there a report or document somewhere that we can read that verifies these millions of lost dollars? This thread has been so full of opinion and bullshit it's been hard at times to know which information is factual. As regards free legal, there is none. It's customary in tort law in the US that when one party sues another for some loss, they are entitle also to reimbursement of reasonable attorney fees - if they win. The law doesn't care if you're a good guy or a bad guy, but if you win, you may collect. Are you suggesting that if I damage property of yours, and you have to hire an attorney to sue me for those damages because for some reason I decide to just not cough it up for you, that I shouldn't have to cover your attorney's fees for your lawsuit against me? Are you sure that's what you consider progress in American law? Because that's what it reads like you're asking for.

Your for less bullshit, less uninformed opinion, and more facts,

Sg

9. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

From the beginning, there has been money set aside by the Feds and by private non-profit organizations that support wolf reintroduction to reimburse ranchers for bona fide losses to livestock by wolf predation. No program is perfect and I'm sure that there are some losses that cannot be verified, just as there are some claims that are not losses due to wolves.

D

10. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

Wolves don't attack people unless you work at a logging camp deep in Canada and you've been feeding them scraps for months.

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2010/h...e-in-license-fees-economy-wolves-also-blamed/

States without introduction of wolves ( Colorado, NV, AZ, NM) increased license sales this year.

I personally know 8 guys who no longer hunt ID because of the wolves negative impact on elk and deer populations. That translates into lost revenue and laying off F&G employees. Reading posts from this thread and prior threads there are more than a few on here that would like to see hunting on publics lands ended and for nature to back to it "natural state".

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Ribka,

Thanks. At least the reduced revenue is verifiable. Do you also know that IDFG employees were laid off, or is that an inference you're drawing? I'm not doubting that some were, but this thread is a classic example of opinions and inferences being represented as facts. Consequently I've become interested mainly in separating the BS from the truth.

Since wolves eat ungulates, I don't doubt for a minute that deer and elk herds are reduced. I'm just fascinated that people are willing to post so much BS that they cannot back up. Then I realize this is a fishing forum, so now it's all beginning to fall into place (jk).

Sg

13. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

I heard a news report(actually a couple) that mentioned several western states had declines in hunting licenses(and other tourist visits). The main factor was the economy.

"States without introduction of wolves ( Colorado, NV, AZ, NM) increased license sales this year."
    That could be hunters staying closer to home to save money.... that in turn increases license sales locally.

14. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

15. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

"The increase (up $43.25 to $300 for deer, up $44.25 to $415 for elk)."

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, with some certainty, that this has a lot more to do with Idaho's lost revenue than wolves. I don't really have an opinion on wolf reintroduction -yet- but at those prices the wolves can have it.