Washington we have a problem ( wolf attack )

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom O'Riley, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

At the distance that this story seems to be describing, I'd consider a wolf that size charging at me to be intent on attacking me. But that's just me.

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

You know, I've always been curious about that sort of thing as well. I mean, whatever trouble one got in would be worth it if you really thought you were saving your own life. On the other side, we all know that there are more than a few jackholes who would spin "it was me or him" yarns in order to be able to nab some big game when/where they weren't supposed to.

3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Doubt many people hunt wolfs with a hand gun.....but if they did I say let em have at it!

4. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

i'm all about "triple S" only reason anyone gets in trouble, is because they make the mistake of reporting it, then saying too much about it.
    Tap and Scat i say.

5. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

So I'll go ahead and stick my neck out on this one for better or for worse (just my 2cents coming).

It surprises me that it would have taken this long to see such a report in this (or other) internet forums. The 'attack' happened in late September and it's almost middle October. That's approx. 2 weeks. It would also surprise me that the local (and national) media would not have gotten hold of such a story sooner and run with it. Keeping a lid on this would be difficult for the best of us I suspect (afterall...there is a photo). I'm naturally a skeptic, and goodness knows there's enough negative feelings about wolves out there for someone with an anti-wolf agenda to fabricate a story, but I just don't buy it. I could be wrong, but something just doesn't feel right about this story.

I'm not here to criticize anyone for the story, but doesn't it just 'fit' with what you might expect from an anti-wolf lobbying group? I'm not 'pro-wolf' per se (I've heard all about what they've done to the elk calves and herds in Wyoming and elsewhere), but am I alone here? Has anyone else thought about this critically? Does anyone know of anyone else who's had such encounters? Certainly they MUST be rare, if not only b/c wolves themselves are relatively rare, but b/c they it should not consistent with their behavior (I'm no wolf expert). If this story is true, I'm surprised this wolf was alone....aren't they pack animals?

Anyways, as I said, that's just my 2 cents. No hard feelings towards anyone on this, and hopefully none towards me for my response.

6. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    And I would expect that at close range, that wolf's head would have more visible damage - an exit/entrance wound, etc.

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

It wasn't my intent to debate that sort of thing. I was only commenting on the vocabulary aspect.

If it was your intent to debate that issue, you should have gotten more to the point straight away rather than beating around the bush with it.

8. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

A number of "friend of a friend sent this to me" forum posts around the internet for this story. However, this is just about the only halfway legit report I could google up:

http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/29401178/detail.html

Real? I have no idea. Legit source? Maybe, since there is info from ID fish/wildlife. Who knows though. There is a different image at least for those who are interested. Also are a bunch of the typical "you are the idiot" - "No, you are the idiot" comments at the bottom of the page.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I thought it was illegal to have a modern firearm with you when you are bowhunting, seems like it would take some of the thrill out of using primitive weapons if you got big ass hand gun for back up.

11. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

The only place I have trouble with wolves is in the Forks area while I'm fishing. Rumor has it they are really members of the Quillayute tribe keeping the forest free of vampires, but frankly I'm skeptical. That's a long way from Blewett Pass and even further from northern Idaho though.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

:thumb:

13. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Thanks for the additional links and the picture. At least this isn't a 'one-off' story. It seems to have made the rounds so to speak. Maybe there is more to this story than I had thought. Cow calling in a pack of 17 wolves sounds more consistent with pack behavior than a single lone wolf....interesting either way.

14. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

taken from - http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01184/wdfw01184.pdf

Page 68, right hand side, very first rule of general archery regs.

"Archery Regulations
    1. Rules pertaining to all archery:
    a. It is unlawful for any person to carry
    or have in his possession any firearm
    while in the field archery hunting,
    during an archery season specified for
    that area, except for modern handguns
    carried for personal protection. Modern
    handguns cannot be used to hunt big
    game or dispatch wounded big game
    during an archery, big game hunting
    season."

You can carry a sidearm for protection.

15. Northern

Northern It's all good.

If she shot a wolf to protect herself from an ongoing attack, well...duh. Self defense is always permissible. Proposing that we should hunt wolves to prevent wolf attacks, however, is assinine. That's like saying I should be able to shoot any stranger in the woods on sight because there are about 30 murders by strangers in WA every year, and that person might kill me. Or proposing we ban dogs because they kill about 20 people per year in the US. (Documented fatal wolf attacks are, like, single digits in all recorded history.)

Be careful in the woods, people - there are other predators besides yourselves out there. No need to go all anihilation-crazy.