Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Washington's reasonable wolf policy.

NFR 
8K views 134 replies 38 participants last post by  generic 
#1 ·
I'm glad I live in a State where killing is the last - not the first - approach to predator control:

"In July 2015, some U.S. Air Force personnel were hiking about eight miles up North Fork Chewelah Creek, in northeastern Washington, when they found the chewed-up remains of a cow. They notified the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, which sent out investigators the next day. The investigators found a second carcass nearby and three days later, discovered two more — a cow and a calf. Wolves, they determined, had killed all four animals.

The dead cattle were squarely in the territory of a wolf pack called Dirty Shirt, and local ranchers’ reactions were predictably fierce. “The time for the removal of the Dirty Shirt pack is now,” Justin Hedrick, the president of the Stevens County Cattlemen’s Association, said in a statement. But instead of mustering sharpshooters, wildlife officials sent riders on horseback to keep the wolves away. They used generators to shine bright lights around the rest of the herd, while other employees patrolled the area. They shared data on the pack’s location — three wolves are radio-collared — with area livestock producers, so other cattle could be shifted out of harm’s way. But they also said that if the wolves killed more cows, they would consider shooting them.

Within a few days, the pack moved to a different part of its territory, and fears died down."

See less See more
#69 ·
OK this is not wolves but whatever. An Elk hunter in our camp was chased off when field dressing his kill by an angry bear (bears are protected in that part of Utah). He tried to shoo off the animal but the bear was a way better shooer than the hunter. Hard to skin and process the animal constantly looking over your shoulder! Game officer said it was OK to refill the tag given the circumstances. Survival of the fittest at work all the time!

#77 · (Edited)
Satellite Internet. It's like satellite tv . Perhaps you have heard of this? I have cell service too . They have these new fangled doo dads called smart phones. Yes smart phones. Amazing

Love it when ignorant passive aggressive dbags with zero subject matter chime in

Time for the anti gun rants from the useful idiots

Carry on...,

#96 ·
Satellite Internet. It's like satellite tv . Perhaps you have heard of this? I have cell service too . They have these new fangled doo dads called smart phones. Yes smart phones. Amazing

Love it when ignorant passive aggressive dbags with zero subject matter chime in

Time for the anti gun rants from the useful idiots

Carry on...,
Hey Ribka, you're the one who went off topic injecting your "off the grid" living into the wolf policy thread. But thanks for filling in the blank because this passive aggressive dbag isn't familiar with satellite internet. Now I know.

Has anyone mentioned that you're overly prone to stereotyping? My Subaru never goes 10 mph under the limit in any lane.

Sg

#80 · (Edited)
So some urban pajama boy is saying I should be ashamed of living on wind and solar energy?

Every time I go to Seattle for work and I see some boy man idiot standing on a street corner in his hipster glasses donning a $500 Patagonia down jacket in 50 degree weather gripping his Starbucks like it was his mothers teat or the dbag driving ten miles under the limit in the passing lane in a subaru I think of you

#84 ·
Funny that I read this on the last day of my deer season. Not once did I think to myself, "man, I wish we had more wolves out here killing deer."
Wolf lovers will villanize me for cleanly killing a deer. But those same people have no problem with wolves ripping apart a deer while it's still breathing.
The wolf lovers are spectators of nature at best, and will never see one. Piss on 'em if they want to curse those of us who participate in nature.

#90 ·
Funny that I read this on the last day of my deer season. Not once did I think to myself, "man, I wish we had more wolves out here killing deer."
Wolf lovers will villanize me for cleanly killing a deer. But those same people have no problem with wolves ripping apart a deer while it's still breathing.
The wolf lovers are spectators of nature at best, and will never see one. Piss on 'em if they want to curse those of us who participate in nature.
I was out on the last day of hunting season as well as a matter of fact I was out every day of hunting season except for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.. Saw a 3 point last night at about 6:45 standing in the middle of the road. the season closed at 6:25... There was no shortage of deer even though my season ended with an unfilled tag.. Oh, and I saw a wolf... we do not have a wolf problem we do not have a deer problem we do not have an elk problem... If we have a problem it's that we have too many humans moving out into wild animal habitat..

#94 ·
I suggest the worried never move up here. There are packs of wolves everywhere. They stay far away from people for the most part.

It's a neat thing to actually get a glimpse of one. Had to sit still for a long time, and predator call for the first one.

Next two I saw ran across the highway where they were eating a road killed deer against a sheer rock face on the one side.

#115 ·
We are so done as a nation.
I'm feeling pretty negative too; pretty stuck between a rock and a hard place. As Rolf points out, we've got progressives who want government to do more and more for people, but that's bad for self-motivation and even if it weren't government is just terrible at getting things right. As JWG points out, you have companies who sure as hell aren't worthy of trust to do right by the people either. Our political system is drenched in campaign $ and the main thing a newly elected politician does is raise more $ and act for the will of those donors. I seriously don't see a way out, at least in the short run. Maybe we need to hit rock bottom before people wake up and things change by force.

#114 ·
Here's a little help for some of you.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybo...led-commune-gave-us-what-is-now-thanksgiving/

It's not about Wolves or WA state wanting the best for it's residents, wolves or not. It's about collectivism, it's about making everyone's life better, it's about an opportunity to use yourself for your own profit. Government is "only" about control. Progressivism isn't about making your life better, it's about making you think government is trying to help you because you're too stupid to help yourself. Many of us are too stupid to help ourselves but that isn't the governments problem, it's our problem. The most problematic people are those who've gone through public education to the highest levels because they now know what is good for you. Truth is they have been indoctrinated to believe they are the all knowing authority...but they remain idiots because they prefer their opinion over the truth. Lessons learned are no longer useful because the collective is all that matters. The collective has proven to be a fool every time it has been elected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.