Water Master Accessories

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Jun 25, 2010.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Brian, can you post a link to some information on the river safety navigation class that you took? I just got a WM a couple weeks ago. I know that the number one accessory I need right now is the proper knowledge to get myself down river safely.

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

3. barbless

barbless Member

Mumbles, get the hard seat. Its chump change when you add it into the cost of the boat, and it is devilishly comfortable to fish out of.

4. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

I thought I'd bring this thread alive if you guys don't mind. I sold my tent trailer a bit over a year ago to a guy that is on this forum a lot (hi Ed) and went with a truck camper instead. I wanted to be able to tow my boat and have a place to stay. In the process I lost the storage of the truck bed that I had when using the tent trailer. I have a Outcast pontoon boat (PAC 800 or 900 I forget which until I measure) that I might sell and replace with a Watermaster which doesn't have a frame to deal with so easier to store.
    A couple of questions:
    --Seat: Ed (Mumbles) from what I've read you have had yours for a bit...What seat did you end up going with? The seat on my Outcast tends to make my ass bottom hurt after several hours of fishing. Quite painful actually. My back doesn't seem to bother me just the rear. Ed or anyone else what would your best recommendation for a seat be?
    --Anchor system: Just wondering how you guys have set up yours? I hate having to twist around to pull anchor. Is is possible to set up up blocks (pulleys) so you can pull facing forward and then have an easily accessible jamb cleat. I suppose that shouldn't be too hard if there are enough d-rings. How about a forward anchor system for fishing Chironomids? What do use to keep the anchor line in place?

So Ed how do you like yours now that you have had it for a few months?
    Thanks in advance.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Kim, I'm enjoying the water master kodiak and tent trailer, thanks for the latter. I've got a few things to fix on it, a cold water hose that burst due to me not using a pressure regulator (I know you warned me) and some new curtains. I have to get the hot water heater services as it is not working up to par, but the heater kicks butt! I know others that have used theirs in the winter and frozen. This one makes it shorts and tee shirt weather inside in the middle of winter.

As for the WM. My seat is the standard one and so far so good. I have thought of getting the hard seat option but thus far my trips on stillwater and rivers have not made me uncomfortable enough to spend the money.

As for an anchor, right now I just run the anchor line through the D rings and clip a single pulley out in front of me. It works okay, but I likely will do something more with pulleys and make it more substantial. When in a lake this D ring routing seems to work okay and on rivers I'm not anchoring in current to fish, but on the banks when I'm stopping to fish.

What is it about your seat that gets your backside sore? There is an upgraded seat with a thermarest inflatable base. WFF member Greggor has one. I did not plop down in his, but it looked cozy. I know that the seat that Chris likes on the gear program WM's is better than mine, but again, so far I've been comfortable enough not to spend the money.

6. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Thanks Ed,
    Just the ole butt bones start hurting. You would think I don't have any padding there which isn't the case...I would like to have a lot less. If I keep the Outcast (unlikely) I'll probably look into some sort of better cushioning like the thermarest.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I really dig the water master. To keep the misses happy I sold my Fishcat Panther when I got the Kodiak. The Panther was an awesome boat, but I don't miss it one bit!

8. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I purchased the high back soft seat upgrade from BSI. Basically, it is this seat: http://www.surftosummit.com/tall-back-outfitter-molded-foam-kayak-seat-pack-p-1687.html?cPath=283_207.

Additionally, I throw a Thermarest seat pad down for added comfort: http://www.rei.com/product/780983?preferredSku=7809830016&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7809830016&mr:trackingCode=21C8A076-09D6-DE11-974B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA. I was going to use Velcro to attach it to the seat, but have not yet found the need. This allows me to make small adjustments on the fly. I just place something on it, or stuff it somewhere to protect it from blowing away when I leave the boat.

9. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Greggor, Do you like the soft seat? Its seams to not have very good lower back support. I have noticed that if I wear my fins that my legs will go numb from being slightly proped up rather than angling down, whats your thoughts?

10. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Hi Tyler,

I can't speak to the standard soft seat that BSI provides, but the optional high back soft seat has worked great for me. And this coming from a guy whose greatest concern going into my Water Master purchase was potential back fatigue. I have used the fins now several times for over 6 hours straight, no numbness, no sore back. Obviously everyone is different, but I develop a bit of soreness in my lower back just after a two hour drive in the car. The Water Master high back soft seat, no problem.

Several people like the hard seat over the standard soft seat. I believe Kent was one of these individuals. I have not tried one to compare, I just know what works for me.

Three things you might try to avoid pinching leg nerves: 1) Sit a little further out towards the edge of the seat. 2) If so equipped, tighten the forward straps, so that your lumbar area makes contact sooner, providing more support and keeping you more upright. 3) Use a seat pad. Again, I don't have the standard soft seat, so this is all from my perspective.

Good luck on finding the solution. I don't think you should experience numbness in your legs at all. Someone's suggestion should help you to find the right set-up.