Watermaster vs. Waterstrider

I'm going to buy a raft. I've decided on the Watermaster/Waterstrider style. The main difference is the seat and materials. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would you buy and why?

Chris Scoones

Administrator
Staff member
Waterstrider is a copy of a Watermaster pattern. The WM is built with better material, is built in MT as apposed to New Zealand, and they are a sponsor. If you would like to demo either of the WM's sizes, they are available from WFF.

alpinetrout

Banned or Parked
I prefer the Water Master Kodiak over the Grizzly. The water strider is more similar to the Grizzly. Also, the Water Masters have a more solid seat that you can actually stand up on in stillwaters.

Thanks for the feedback. Both manufacturers stated that their material is stronger. Does anyone have any objective or scientific information on which is really stronger. Waterstrider is a urethane/pvc alloy. Watermaster is PVC. (I think) Waterstrider is considerably lighter in weight which would make one think it wasn't as durable, but maybe the alloy material is better. I don't know.

Curtis

Take advantage of the gear program, well dont take advantage of it but use it and see what you think. I have never used one, so that is all I have to say.

At the time I compared the two, I found the oarlocks on the Watermaster Kodiak were in a better position for rowing for me (6'1", 240) than those on the Waterstrider. That tipped the balance toward the Kodiak for me even though the PVC version was a bit heavier and a bit more money. I really like it. I really liked the urethane version of the Kodiak, which I don't see on their website anymore, that a friend has as it was lighter than the Waterstrider but a bit too much for my wallet.