waterproof digital cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by toadthedry, Feb 15, 2010.

1. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

love my Pany Lumix - take underwater pictures of my grandkids in the pool, always around my neck on the river, have dropped it down a bank ... and it takes really good pictures for what it is..

2. joellirot

joellirot Active Member

I have an olympics optio. I wouldn't buy another. The little trap door that closes to protect the lens gets stuck all the time. And the battery always seems dead. i think maybe the motor keeps running to try and open the door.

i'm going to look into the water proof sony video cam. i have a flip and love it - although i haven't tried to capture stills from the video yet.

when i'm not getting wet - my nikon d80 is awesome!

3. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

olmpus stylus 770sw 7.1 mp...submerged to 33',5' drop,crush tough, 14 deg F I love not new but well used...doesn't take professional
    quality...good enough,I don't really want my canon XT near the water while I am fishing unless I put the flyrod away!

Flyfisher121

4. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

"my main objection to the d10 is it doesnt fit in a pocket well." Actually, I have one and it is not a problem. Shoots great, also. I also have a Pana non-waterproof and it is great, but figured I, of all people, needed to go waterproof. I gave my son the Oly WP that Costco carries and he loves it. Good underwater shots in a pool. good surface stuff.

5. crc333

crc333 New Member

Hi Everyone,

New guy here and I've been lurking for a little while and finally found a subject I can add to. When I'm not fishing I'm traveling covering professional motorsports and working within the automotive world doing new product demos etc. So as photographer this is one area I have an opinion, good or bad.

Still learning Fly fishing so I don't have to much to say about that other than I really enjoy getting out and getting Bamboozled by the fish.

Anyway I stopped in at Bestbuy today and saw The Olympus STYLUS TOUGH-8010 (hope this isn't old info) basic camera info: 14 Megapixels, Schockproof, Freezeproof, the list goes on. It also has One-Touch HD Movie and you can record widescreen, HD movies in 720p. I need a new pocket point and shoot and with its Tough marketing it fits the bill perfectly...for me.

There it is my first post!

Cheers!

6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Welcome to the board crc333, thanks for the info, never been much of a camera guy, but I'm thinkin' bout gittin one

7. nathan88roman

nathan88roman New Member

I have the Pentax Optio W60 is a 10 Megapixel compact with a 5x optical zoom,2.5in screen and a waterproof body which allows it to be fully submerged underwater without the need for an additional housing. ...

8. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Got my son an Olympus stylus tough, the HD video function was great, the battery life was awful and the first time we used it underwater, less than ten feet for a 45 minute snorkel expedition it broke. In short don't take this camera underwater, it's crap, and the battery blows. Keep it dry and it shoots some great video.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'm looking at getting a new waterproof digital. I was looking into the Olympus. My buddy has one, and he loves it. But not sure it's the stylus though. Think it's a different model. Anyone else have experience with the Olympus waterproofs?

10. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I carry a 770W Olympus on the water. I'm happy with the picture quality and it takes great underwater pictures and video.

GBeeman
    View attachment 37945

11. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

I feel the exact same way about mine. The pictures aren't the best, but it more than makes up for it with the convenience and the durability.

Brian O'Keefe now packs around an Olympus Stylus waterproof camera.

12. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

I've been using a Pentax W90. 12 MP, submersible, JD movies, and special close-up lcd lighting. I've made some pretty good prints up to 8x12. Battery life is good. I'm recomending the Pentax.