NFR WDFW gets it right- Wolves part trois

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Skysoldier

Skysoldier FUBAR

Sounds like good advice :)

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

Sometimes it's hard to keep your fingers still. You just have to put your two cents in.

3. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

It is a proven fact that 90% of Miontana sheep kills are by jealous wives of sheepherders.
    Jesse

triploidjunkie and Bill Aubrey like this.
  4. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    I have GOT to stop reading the posts by Old Man! I'm starting to agree with him. :p

Craig

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

This was from the post on national news - MSN:

But director Mitch Friedman told NBC station KING 5 that rancher Bill McIrvine, who lost part of his herd to the pack, "has total responsibility for the problem" for not being as cooperative as other ranchers with programs aimed at keeping cattle and wolves apart. The wildlife department, for its part, "has not been as firm as it needed to be," Friedman added, especially since McIrvine's cattle graze on public land.
    McIrvine, for his part, earlier told KING 5 that he believes groups with "a radical environmental agenda" are conspiring to introduce gray wolves in order "to take our (grazing) lease from us."

"We have the right to protect our property," McIrvine said, adding that he considered the wildlife department "a rogue government agency" that was essentially saying "we got to sit back and do nothing while the wolves kill our livestock."

Sitting here there is clearly conflict, and it seems that one guy with a chip on his shoulder did not want to take precautions while others were successful. The article also goes on to say that he's on leased land - assuming it is state or federal. So he gets to graze his cattle on public land at a fraction of the going rate and he's bitching because of predation??? A friend and business partner of mine has a large ranch in Idaho, and admits to being attached to the federal tit and loving it (another has a ranch in E WA that has a perimeter of 115 miles and makes far more off of letting it sit in CRP than ranching / farming on it - but he owns it outright). I just don't get rancher welfare and the sense that they can do what they want on public lands to the exclusion of others.

Jim Wallace and Golden Trout like this.
  6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Its a free country I think many people should give ranching a go & get in on some of this free money!!!

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

Being a rancher is a 24/7 job. Are you sure you want that headache.

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Hence the term "general" . . . $$$$$$$$ goes in & it's generally never seen again . . .

9. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

If you want it to be! Some headaches like subsidies/being outdoors and shooting anything you want to "protect your herd or it's feed] aint so bad.IMHO

10. ribka

ribka Active Member

But the eco***** want their $24.00 a lb Whole Foods certified carbon neutral, organic free- range beef.

All the ranchers I know in WA, ID, MT , SD are taking more and more land off of CRP because they are not making the money they once used to.

Suppose we should tax Ag land at the same rate too as normal residential property too. Damn freeloading farmers

Quite the dilema

Edited adding ***** to replace content reported as offensive. (Ed Call)

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Subsidizing anything, even airplane manufacturing, is bullshit. Free marked my ass, it's all a game played by the idiots voted into office...and they are subsidized by those manipulating the market. Bless the poor bastard trying to make it on his own these days...

Ed Call and Flyborg like this.
  12. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Thank you martyg. My son sent my wife this article which made all of us quite sick. Can't believe this guy couldn't hire a night rider to patrol the herd. What might the price tag on "Professional Hunters" be as opposed to some preventative responsibility?

Derek Young likes this.
  13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I love wolves! Wolves make for the most entertaining internet forum threads.

Sg

Flyborg likes this.
  14. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

we do not need wolves!! WE DID FINE WITHOUT THEM FOR A LONG TIME AND THEY WILL ONLY CAUSE PROBLEMS. IT WILL BE OKAY TILL THEY EAT SOME KID THEN SHIT WILL HAPPEN. I HATE TO SEE IT BUT IT WILL HAPPEN, MARK MY WORDS. MIKE W

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Wolves did pretty good without us as well.