NFR WDFW gets it right- Wolves part trois

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Sep 24, 2012.

1. psycho

psycho Active Member

I see someone has reread " Little Red Riding Hood":D

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

So did steelhead trout and salmon

What's your point?

Olive bugger likes this.
  3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Since you added salmon and steelhead to mix, my point would be we fucked all three of them up.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Truth.

5. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Actually, humans do need predators. And the entire "humans are doing fine" thing is entirely debatable and probably outside the scope of my interweb capabilities. Also, caps lock? Really?

Derek Young likes this.
  6. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

You may be giving WDFW too much credit. Seems whatever WDFW tries to "manage", they are great at achieving opposite their desired outcome. So if you hate wolves, hope that WDFW deems it a "species of concern". Show up at WDFW's public hearings and testify that the agency should make every effort to protect wolves and that they should use the best available science in their decision making. Rest assured that the agency will show that it's extremely competent in being dismissive of every point you make. And you will have preemptively helped WDFW build its list of "I don't care what you say, we know better" talking points that it can playback to every enviro organization that tries to protect the wolves.

Similarly if you want to see the wolf population explode across the state, just let the agency continue along its current path.

Jonathan Tachell likes this.
  7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I read this morning that two wolves were killed using the helicopter and sharp shooter.
    I'm thinking that the cost of killing those two wolves would buy lots of steaks.
    I love seeing my tax $ and lic fees going to a good cause.

8. generic

generic Justified

No joke.

Good grief, if they are serious about thinning out the wolf packs, have a lottery for them. Make them somewhat expensive, make a little money (if nothing else, to just offset the cost of the tag process) and let the private sector take care of it. You KNOW there are folks out there who would jump on that opportunity.

9. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Dave they had some of the best professional hunters in the state gunning for these critters and they were UNSUCCESFUL none of the state qoutas for worlf kills were filled in Id and Mt.
    Wolves that are targeted are not going to be killed easily it is going to take helecopters and traps to do the job.
    I say let them eat beef and pay for the dead animals, keep the hunting pressure on and the wolves will be less a problem.
    jesse

Derek Young likes this.
  10. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I think it's time to set up a new Wolves forum on WFF. While we're at it, can we bring back the Politics forum? J/K

11. generic

generic Justified

Jesse (or John), I know that you know me well enough, so I don't mean this to sound combative are argumentative... but...

See, I don't get that. I know, personally, folks who have killed wolves in ID. Who were these "professional hunters, and where did they come from? Did they know the local area they were hunting, or did they just read about the habits of wolves in a book. I bet the locals in the problem areas could track down, hunt down, and kill these wolves.

Were the choppers "limited" as to where they could go? I know that sounds weird, but when the government gets involved, sometimes common sense goes out the window, or egos get in the way.

Think of it this way. Two guys with about the same equal fishing experience/knowledge/skill go fish a river. One guy has fished it for 5 to 10 years 3 times a week. The other guy just flew in from across the state. At first, who do you think is going to catch more fish?

Now take the same example, except both guys flew in from across the state, and the guy that knew the river stayed home and couldn't give any advice except point in the direction of the river.

It's no difference when it comes to hunting. In fact, I'd say it has even more of an effect when it comes to hunting. If I know "Joe Blow" can find wolves on just about any given day in ID, because he lives and plays there, why should it be any different. Just say'n...

12. generic

generic Justified

Or, you can just ignore us :D

13. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

I am sure you won't mind this ecotard telling his brethren that there is still a glimmer of hope to call the Gov. and/or Dept. of Wildlife to stop the killing of these wolves.

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

15. ribka

ribka Active Member

If you so concerned about endangered and stressed species like steelhead and trout why do you still target them?

Hmmmmm