WDFW hearing on the 2yr steelhead retention moratorium - Aug 28

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chris Scoones, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    WDFW hearing on the 2yr steelhead retention morator...

I dont know this for certain; my impression is that the word "staff" in the announcemewnt, regarding the intention to going back to a pre-moratorium harvest regime on wild steelhead in Washington, means the "WDFW Sportfishing Staff",and not the "Commission or Commissioners".So I have to wonder if the vocabulary of this announcement isnt just a very public way of assuring that all "concerned" citizens understand that this meeting is an oportunity for all "sides" of the issue to be heard.

The WDFW Commission is there for us to provide our input on these things. Without the commission we would be taking what WDFW "gave us" all of the time without any citizen recourse or involvement in the management of our wildlife resources.

The only way that we can make a difference now is by our personally, publicly, testifying at the announced meeting in Bremerton on August 28th on behalf of the wild steelhead and their continued full protection.

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Wild Steelhead Moratorium challenge not unexpecte...

Bob, You might as well boycott Port Angeles, Joyce, Sequim, Hoquiam, Aberdeen and a bunch of other places, because I have talked to people who live in those towns who are displeased with the moratorium. Though I don't agree with them myself, I will continue to buy gas, groceries, & supplies in Forks if I need them when I am passing thru or fishing or camping in the area. I was just up there and everyone I talked to was very friendly.

Consider this: If you boycott the town of Forks, and it causes even more economic downside, then the residents will probably want to catch and eat more fish in their struggle for survival. And the game wardens can't be everywhere all the time...

If I can't make it to the meeting, I will be sure to write another letter to the Commission in favor of permanent statewide wild steelhead release in all rivers.

Jimbo

3. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Wild Steelhead Moratorium challenge not unexpecte...

Your points, as usual, are well taken.

I am far too old to think that the boycott will work like a magic wand and the Forkians will cease forking the resource. It is more of a matter of a personal committment not to support the enemy. Had Forks joined us in our endevor to save the wild fish, your letter would be unnecessary. The Moratorium would have stood.

Now, I'm afraid what we have is that one of the conservation-minded commissioners has wavered e.g. someone got to him (the Queen of Kill? the Governor?) and he has changed his "thinking."

Remember the original vote was only a one vote majority with the chair dissenting.

Whether we can win or not remains to be seen. I will not take the rather cynical view that it is all a done deal and the meeting is just "pro forma" to add some legitimacy. I will go; I will boycott; and hopefully I will sleep at night.

Bob, the Argument that others are doing it will never amount to much with me.:professor :beer2

4. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Accenuate the positive

Everyone,
    I'm sure that we all feel that there is bias in some of the WDFW/Commission rhetoric of late. Be that as it may, and considering the conviction of the City of Forks et al, petitioning the Moratorium (which they did by the book) our task is to gather our numbers and let the Commission and Jeff Koenings know that we stand squarely in favor of continuing the Moratorium.
    Anyone who wishes can boycott the businesses in Forks, or Port Angeles or Aberdeen and probably sink a few of them. However, that certainly is not my reason for supporting the Moratorium. I'll continue to spend my money in Forks and nearby hamlets only if the Moratorium is kept in place.
    What bothers me is that Rep. Jim Buck doesin't seem to understand the term "long-term plan." And it is just that, a long-term plan that people on the Olympic Peninsula need. They need light manufacturing, school training programs and enlightened thinking toward tourism in order to recover their long-term prosperity. Killing the rest of the Olympic Peninsula's wild steelhead is another band-aid. We haul products in from China, organic milk to Washington from Wisconsin and fish from Chile. Don't tell me we can't haul computer hardware, or something similar from Forks to the I-5 corridor.
    Until a long-term plan is established, I lay the problem at the feet of our state officials. It is up to us to change all of this....and start by turning back this attack on the Moratorium
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

5. Jim Wallace

Accenuate the positive

Good points, both Les and Bob.
    I had a conversation last week with an elderly couple (looked to be in their 70's) from Port Angeles, and I was somewhat taken aback by the extreme short-term nature of their thinking. We were discussing the Beardslee fishery in Lake Crescent, and the woman stated that she "hated the National Park Service for ruining the fishing in Lake Crescent," by making it catch and release and not allowing downrigger fishing. (Yup, she blamed the Park for "ruining" the fishing). I remarked that perhaps the Park Sevice was trying to save a depleted fishery. She had nothing else to say on the subject, wished me good luck, said "God bless you!" to me, and we parted company.
    I suppose they figure that since they won't be around to enjoy it in a few more years, that the long-term health of the fishery means nothing. Either that, or they don't trust or pay heed to any scientific evidence that might make them reconsider their position. Alot of O.P. residents have never liked the Park Service's rules and regulations...just plain selfish greed, I guess.

Jimbo

6. Jim Wallace

Accenuate the positive

After walking around in circles (mowing lawns)for several hours yesterday afternoon, and thinking about this issue, I can see Bob's and Les's point on boycotting Fork's businesses if the Moratorium is overturned. Like Les, I will continue to spend some money in Forks "only if the Moratorium is kept in place."
    The mayor and people of Forks say that they fear loss of business due to the Moratorium. Well, I now agree that we must make them fear loss of business if they succeed in overturning it.
    I'm no big spender...only spent about $35 there last week on gas and groceries... maybe only drop $100 or so there each year.
    It isn't easy to draw investment in light industry out into the boonies. Lots of excuses such as: having to train the workforce, transportation hassles and costs (this is a valid concern, having experienced driving hwy 101 alot in the Winter), schools, distance from hospitals, executive's wives might hate not being near big shopping centers, fewer cultural choices and happenings, etc....all of which are either BS or can be overcome, IMO.
    I think money in the form of grants and low-interest loans should be available (maybe it already is???) for economic development purposes to local Forks entrepreneurs who have sound business plans, along with tax breaks and other incentives. These things don't happen by themselves and might not ever happen unless the people of Forks really want it and take the initiative, and then they may need some assistance.

Jimbo

7. bodegahwy

bodegahwy New Member

Accenuate the positive

Does anybody know of a 501-C3 qualified entity fighting this issue?

8. Steelheadjunky

Steelheadjunky Member

Accenuate the positive

Fighting which way? For or against?

The Wild steelhead Coalition is fighting for the moritorium. We are 501 C3. You can read more about us at http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com or email wscmembership@yahoo.com for more information. Myself (Jeff Johnson) and Les Johnson (searun) are both on the BOD of this organization. We are involved in a lot of steelhead issues other than this one too.

JJ

9. bodegahwy

bodegahwy New Member

Accenuate the positive

Against the change or or for protecting the wild steelhead however you want to look at it. The company I work for contributes to issues like this, but only through 501-C3 qualified entities. I'll email you.

10. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Accenuate the positive

I may be pretty much ill-informed about this issue (I am with most others), but I have always wondered why more organizations and businesses have not wieghed in against the killing of the last few wild fish in this state.

Certainly the Sierra Club, even Peta, and various hiking groups, supporters of the National Parks System, magazines about conservation and the outdoors as well as many others that I can't even begin to think of at the moment come to mind when I try to look about for alllies in this fight. Yet, I don't hear them.

The only organization I heard speak at the Port Townsend WDFW hearing was the Wild Steelhead Coalition, which I am joining today if possible, speaking in favor of the Moratorium. Surely there must be others.

Does anyone know of a business or organization besides the WSC who is actively working to support the Moratorium?

Please post if yo do, I might join or patronize them as well.

Bob, the Suddenly looking about for all the support I can. We will need it I fear.
    :professor

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Accenuate the positive

Fellow Flyfishers, it is time to make our voices heard. We are the only ones who can speak for the fish. They are the ones who need our help.

FYI: Last week, the Steelhead and Cutthroat Policy Advisory Group voted 8-7 to support the Moratorium. A letter has been forwarded to the Director advising him of our vote.

Leland.

12. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Accenuate the positive

Steelhead and Cutthroat Policy Advisory Group - what is it? And why so many no votes?

13. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    WDFW hearing on the 2yr steelhead retention morator...

I have a suggestion. Since the wild steelhead of this state are a public trust for all of the citizens, why not get all of the citizens involved?

My efforts will be to directly, personally, contact at least two people every day about the Wild Steelhead Moratorium issue. These will not be fishers but ordinary citizens.

My goal will be to advise them that the Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife Commissioners are going to be deciding the fate of the last runs of Wild Steelhead in Washington on August 28th at the Bremerton Meeting, and that they can make a difference for the fish by speaking out. I will also be sure to provide them with the email address of the Commission, WDFW Director and Governor's offices.

So far I have been pretty successful in exceeding my goals and most people are appalled to hear about what is going on with these wild fish, with the moratorium, and with the City of Forks.

Most of us have address lists and email lists, let's get to work now.

14. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Accenuate the positive

There are a number of advisory bodies out there. They may be created by the Governor, Legislature, or agencies. The Steelhead Cutthroat Policy Advisory Group was established by the WDFW to advise the department on current and key policy issues associated with fish and wildlife management and conservation.

There are currently 24 members of the group and not all are present at all times. The vote last week was 8-7 in favor of the Moratorium. Why so close? Simply because not everyone believes that wild steelhead should be released. The funny thing was, we didn't debate the issue because we all knew no minds were going to be changed. This is a polarized political issue guys and the squeekiest door is going to get greased.

Leland

15. bodegahwy

bodegahwy New Member

Accenuate the positive

Hi Bob,

In response to your question about supporting these issues... there are folks out there. Over the years we have run several advertising campaigns in support of wild salmon and sponsored mailing campaigns. We also contribute to a number of oganizations the are working on this including the WSC. Here are links to things we have supported in the NW states during the last year and another to things related to water.

Scroll down and enter a state where requested:

http://www.patagonia.com/enviro/enviro_grants.shtml

Here are the water and marine related grants:

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC/Pgonia/grants_watr.jsp

You will find several campaigns we have run in support of wild Salmon at this link... just scroll down:

http://www.patagonia.com/enviro/reports/archive_enviro.shtml