We doin' this again or what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

you'll get the double spey for a half rack of Henry's, and the snap t for a six pack of Fat Tire.

don't blame me, those are the going rates Ed! LOL

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

WTF man, I thought you were gonna mentor me! What on earth is a "half rack"? Three bottles? Anyway, now that those prices are posted, I'm likely okay with that. I'm sure we can just kick around at the Oxbow, right? Speaking of which does the Oxbow take reservations or do we need them?

3. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

A half-rack is twelve, six if I get you drunk with it...which will improve your speycasting and make things easier for me.:clown:

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Mumbles reminds me of a story I'm about to make up as I type this. Mumbles attended the Hoh 2009 steelhead fishing outing and met the famous John Huelsdonk, the Iron Man of the Hoh. Camped at Oxbow, Mumbles asks IMOTH if he can fish with him. Huelsdonk isn't too proud and says, "sure, be at my rig at daylight." So Mumbles is up at the crack and ready to go and jumps in IMOTH's truck, and off they go rumbling up the mighty Hoh. IMOTH brings his truck to a stop at **** Creek and leads Mumbles down the path to the sacred water. Rod strung up, Mumbles asks IMOTH if he'd mind giving him a Spey casting lesson. IMOTH responds that he often gives fishing lessons. Standing ankle deep in the river, IMOTH reaches in one pocket for his lighter and in another for his fishing tackle. IMOTH lights up and hands a lit stick of dynamite to Mumbles and says, "you gonna' stand around yakin' all day dumbshit, or ya' gonna' start fishin'?"

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Mumbles, you'll be casting "dirty" in no time at all! Just don't let Yard, Mello or Matt teach you the reach around cast! :eek: Someone there will teach you something I'm sure... :clown:

Last year was great and I hope to make it out the later weekend, or maybe even the whole week if it's not as damn cold as last year. Oxbow doesn't take any reservations and it's free to stay there....

I'm hoping to make it over there, but am only tentative at this point. I kind of wish it was sooner, but it is what it is.

6. Ed Call

Mumbles finished that cool Salmo G story by inserting that stick of dynamite into the orafice of IMOTH. The resulting "flesh fly" hatch got all the fish a boiling and Mumbles limited out his hatchery catch in no time. Never got the hang of that spey casting thing, but did learn a cool trick from IMOTH.

Honestly have been fishing with relatives in Louisiana that use half sticks for fishing and gators. Mind blowing stuff, literally.

I'm looking forward to free camping, even if I'll have to lock myself in my truck to stay safe from the reach around banditos. I think meeting a motley group of fly fishers will be worth the price of admission for sure. I've begun assembling my packing list.

7. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Mumbles, a half rack is what we call a 12 pack. It seems we are the only people that call it that. When I would go other places, that's what they would say, "You want to get a what, What the hell is a half rack?''
    :)

8. Ed Call

I got a text message from a friend back east on Super Bowl Sunday. It was a naked lass with one side painted like a Steeler's helmet and the matching one painted like a Cardinal's helmet. I thought a half rack would be your favorite helmet by itself. Half rack and a 12 pack...I can live with that.

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

The thing I really like about the Oxbox is the river is right there. You can cast to a nice little run on the inside bend of the Oxbow itself before it goes under 101. It's got an automataic swing in the water for practice, trying to figure out what you were doing wrong earlier in the day or just nice to hit after grubbing on Dinner and you aint got enough time to hit the river farther, but you just have to use the last of the light.

Do a search of Fishing Buddy Program with my user name. I've been known to help out a time or two. I aint a pro and not certified to even tie flies, but I'll fish with anyone.

Oxbow is first come, first kill.

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    That's the funniest thing i've read in a long time. :rofl::rofl::rofl:Thanks Salmo!

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    The Iron Man of The Hoh used to ride a pony out into the river and dangle some tarred marline line downriver with a hook and some bait on it, when he got a fish on he would dally the line around the saddlehorn and walk the pony up onto the riverbank with the salmon sliding along behind him.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I'm pleased to see that I may have started something useful by bringing the Iron Man of the Hoh into this discussion about the WFF Hoh River 2009 outing. I'm a bit miffed however that Mumbles' addition to the story lacked the degree of respect and deferrence expected for the IMOTH.

Sg

13. Ed Call

Be miffed all you want Salmo G. I have no idea who the true Iron Man of the Hoh is because insufficient research by me and inadequate background by you were provided. When I show up and the IMOTH is there and pissed I guess he can knock some sense into me and then I'll tag along and watch his fishing techniques. I'm hoping to meet some folks, learn some things and get some time on the water. Pretty easy to meet those requirements in my book.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I was writing way into the t.i.c. mode Mumbles. You're right, I didn't include any background information on IMOTH since that would bore those who already know and remove any mystery for those who don't. Plus I was making up the story as I typed after a half bottle of wine had settled in with my dinner. I only picked on you because you'd T-balled a post right up there, waiting for someone to take a swing at it, and I happened along.

If you get serious about fly fishing for steelhead, and I strongly recommend against it, you'll meet some strange folks, folks that are in the serial killer stage of trout bumness. Even on social steelhead outings, a hardcore steelheader will be up before light, fishing from can't see in the morning 'til can't see at night. Leaving only the hours of darkness for socializing, eating, drinking, tying flies, and . . . giving or taking Spey casting lessons. So perchance you'll forgive me for putting you in that story, or one day you'll understand steelhead fly fishermen enough to forgive me, or not.

BTW, the story of the IMOTH is a good read. Humans used to be a lot tougher than we today can even begin to comprehend.

Sg

15. Ed Call

I'm aware of the level of committment and frustration of a true northwest steelheader. I lack many of the necessary atributes to ever become that ilk. What I can and will do is try my pure unadulterated luck at picking up a rogue stupid fish that is willing to give me an adreneline rush. I T-ball lots of posts and anticipate some good ribbing along with good info and can truly appreciate both. I hope to find my way in many fishing avenues and thus far many of you, yourself included, have shown some light on dark confusing subjects. Anyone has things that can be beneficial to anyone else. I look forward to the social aspect and of course learning anything I can. I guess that IMOTH is an actual book, I'll look it up.