Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Welcome / Introductions

115K views 285 replies 259 participants last post by  Ron McNeal 
#1 ·
There are quite a few new members registering daily now and many that have not posted yet. Take a second to introduce yourself here.

Fyi - This thread is for intro's only. Keep the chatter offline or on another thread.

Thanks,

Chris

#102 ·
Howdy, I'm Brad. I'm 23 and I've been living in Ellensburg since 1993. I've had the Yakima in my backyard for 10+ years and just now started to learn to fly fish. I'd always wanted to, but my dad grew up spin casting so that's how I grew up and I can still be found sitting back, watching the rod tip with a beer in hand when it's just a lazy summer day. That or I'l chasing the Chinooks with my Ugly Stik at Vantage. I've been fly fishing for a little over a year now and I think I've finally gotten all the gear I need for starters. I will be graduating from CWU this August and hopefully will find a job in this area, otherwise I'll be looking on these boards for the hows and wheres to fish on the West Side or Inland Empire. While I do fish the Yak from time to time, my favorite thing to do is hike into the small creeks or the high-lakes or desert-lakes with my float tube.

#103 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Chase, I am 21 and I have been a member for a while but not had time to post an intro. I am currently stationed at Fort Lewis, and fish every chance I get. I have been flyfishing a couple of years now, but still just getting the hang of it, especially since I grew up in Oklahoma. This site is awesome, you guys were a great help in buying my new rod, and learning where to fish in my new home. I really only fish for trout right now, but I would love to someday venture in the steelhead/salmon realm. You might run into me on the Yak or Snoqualmie, but with deployments I have lived here over a year and those are the only two I have made it to. But when I am away, all I do is long to be out on a river or lake in the summer sun.
RLTW
Chase

#105 ·
Name: Jeff
Why I am here: Just joined the forum in the last week. Very informative, and I am impressed. About 15 years ago I started fishing heavy while in college. My roomie's and I bought a boat, and would head out to the many lakes around Cheney and Spokane. After we got a little bored of that we thought fly fishing looked cool so we headed to the White Elephant and set ourselves up. We din't have a clue about what we were doing, but we had a blast (the beer might have had something to do with that). We all graduated, and since I was heading to South Carolina I gave one of the fellas all my gear. I though I would certainly see him again. Oop, didn't run into him again for about 10 years, and my gear had gone the way of a yard sale. Always loved fishing, but starting a family, getting a real job (teaching), and bike racing were in the way. So, this past winter I though t it would be a great time to pick fly fishing back up. The kids all had their sports, dance, music, and school things. And my wife had her hobbies, and due to age and other commitments the bikes were gathering dust, what better time to hit the water. For Christmas I received a new rod, and the works. For my birthday a vest, and a few more goodies, and also the registration for a Wenatchee Valley Fly Fishers course through the college. Here I am, ready to go. I'll wait until the end of the course, then hit it hard around the area this summer, can't wait! I am looking for a tube and some waders (cheap, I think I have exceeded my budget) then I should be set.
Thank you in advance for the great tips, I have already learned a great deal!

#106 ·
New to the site 4/06...Fish mostly in the Yakima and Eastern lakes and streams. Some in the Methow area and up the Okanagan. Don't have much to share as I am not into that all that much on the internet. Anyway, anyone heard rumors of the Wenatchee opening to fishing again in the near future? Lots of chat around town about it.

#107 ·
Hey,

New to the area, new to the fishing up here and new to fly fishing. After a little research I realized that for many years I have been carryingang attempting to use a #8 rod on which is mounted a #5 reel that is strung with cloths line!!!

It can only get better; right?

Later

Jerry

#109 ·
The name is Steve and I live in Kent/Covington area. Been flyfishing the area for about 10 years now. Exclusively a trout flyfisherman for no particular reason other than I've been lazy. Got a couple of secret spots, one of which only my son has ever been to and he was blindfolded. :) Glad to have the season kicking off and looking forward to a great one. See you on the water.

#112 ·
Hello,

I am new member to this webside, I do have several friends who are members and like everything about it.

Originally from Krakow Poland, I moved to US in 1981 & lived all over Us since.

I live curently in North Bend Washington.

I picked my fly rod for the first time in 1986 and never stoped since.
I mainly fish for All type of trout.

Like to fish high alpine lakes, low land lakes & streams. I fish rods from 2 weight - 5 weight.My favor rods are T&T light presentation model.I also build my first fly rod out of Old SAGE blank & love it.

Last 3 years or so, I started fishing samller more remote streams & creeks.
Other favor thinsk to do is to tie flies and taking cool fishing pictures.

My profession is: I am profesional Bike fitter & Team rider for team Excel Sports. I race bikes full time all over the US this year will me my second time racing in World Championships in Austria.

Thanks,

#114 ·
Ben Holten I live in Moses Lake. I own a waterfowl guide service, North Flight Waterfowl, and I am a Realtor at Windermere. I grew up small mouth fishing on the Yak and Columbia in the Tri-Cities, I fly fished a lot while going to college at EWU, and I have been enjoying the fly fishing opportunities here in Moses Lake.

#116 ·
Hi Folks...

This looks like a great fly fishing forum. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with everyone. I love fly fishing and I love to talk about it.

I mostly fly fish for trout and I love small mountain streams. My favorite small streams are in the Durango, Colorado area. I am eager to try some Washington streams here. So... can anyone recommend a remote creek for me to try?

I teach fly fishing classes at our local community college, which is very rewarding. I am also the owner of Aztec Anglers. This is a fly fishing guide service on the San Juan River in New Mexico. I also own The Full Creel Fly Shop.

I love everything about fly fishing but most of all I love the peace and serenity associated with most fly fishing destinations. Its not always just about the fish…

Henry David Thoreau said it best when he wrote; "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"

Thanks,
Steve :beer1:

#119 ·
hi everyone. i'm chris. i live on capitol hill in seattle. just moved here from boston. i'm partially responsible for all your traffic nightmares on i-5. i will be working for the construction company putting in the new HOV lanes near everett. i'm a civil engineer. anyways, if anyone wants to go fishing definitely drop me a pm or hit me up on aim. don't know my way around these rivers but i was a fly fishing instructor in massachusetts. fish are fish, right? unless they are steelhead appartently. my aim: color infusion .

#120 ·
Hi everyone - I just got started flyfishing about 3 years ago and have mostly fished the Yakima and recently the Cedar. I have so much to learn, but can't think of a better way to spend free time "learning" something new. Not that I have much free time! This looks like a great forum and look forward to tun'in in.

#122 ·
Glad to be in WA!

Moved here 3 months ago from New Mexico. Lots more water here and an end to 105 degree death marches through gardens of rattlesnakes to remote trickles devoid of trout. I am happy.

I have been flyfishing since age 5. Growing up in Iowa, this meant alot of bass, bluegill and carp. But I've also caught walleye, perch, crappie, and even catfish, on the fly. I like flyfishing for just about anything, but after an incredible trip to Alberta in 2002, bulls have been my passion. I like bushwaking to better waters and take a very DIY approach to flyfishing; not the type of a fisher that yearns to be part of the Yakima flotilla (though a very swell river). A personal goal is to catch all species (and subs) of the Family Salmonidae worldwide. I've spent the past 5 years adding alot of the smaller O. clarki and mykiss tribes from our arid regions to my list. And if you want to know about Apache trout or Gila trout, they have been my specialty so PM me.

I am very interested in participating in conservation efforts (I have a PhD in ecology, fancy eh?) and have participated on public panels in NM. I feel strongly about the unfortunately necessary oversight provided by grassroots conservation groups. The majority (but certainly not all) of the "scientists" that are employed with our fish and game departments (state and federal) are poorly prepared academically and professionally to understand the complex nature of natural populations, let alone manage them. Case in point: a few years ago, the endangered species coordinator for the Gila National Forest, home to the rarest trout in the world, was a dude with a M.S. in animal science degree and specializing in deer and elk. Not good. OK, off my soapbox.

If anyone wants some fishing company, I am game for that. I go fishing at least once a week and I'm trying to explore as many waters as possible, particularily around Monroe and Snohomish county. So much water, so little time...

Glad to be here, this is a great resource.

hawkeye

#123 ·
Hello All,
I hail from the east side and have lived here all my life. I began this epic journey of fishing on the fly when i was about twelve or so, now at twenty-two i know less it seems than i did back then. I have definatly expanded the list of quarry i chase, what used to be exclusivly trout now includes steelhead, salmon, carp and most recently bronzbacks. I am happy to share what i know and always exited to learn.

#124 ·
Hello my name is Jason Buehler and I was born and grew up in Bellingham. I come from along line of fishermen and have been fly fishing and tying flies from the age of 7. My big fish stories are many. When I lived in Montana I caught a 7lbs. brown on the Madison with a skulpin pattern I desiged. That was Nirvava. I am now living in B'ham again. I used to work at H&H Outdoor sports but no longer. Some people here may have known me than. I sold a lot of SAGE rods as I am still and avid fan of theirs. My good friend Liam Wood perished in the Olympic Pipeline explosion while fly fishing Whatcom Creek in 1999. You may have heard of that. I wrote a stoy called "A Fly Fisher That Once Was" back than which is published online at a fishing story site, can't remember the name. In recent years I have been focusing my attention on fly fishing for bass as they are very un-salmonoid-like in behavior and offer new possibilities. Haven't caught a steelhead on a fly in 2 years although I don't get out much anymore, used to fish 200 days a year but now am forced to be a work-aholic as I no longer am supported by my parents. I am currently 24 and live on the Nooksak river near Nugents corner and have 3 private fishing ponds.

#125 ·
Hello,

Just joined so I can keep up with the latest fishing news in the Snohomish County area.

Both husband and I are avid fisherman. Like to fish from our Watermaster Kick Boats. We now have one son and wife and granddaughter joining us. My 7 yr old granddaughter can still ride in the back of my Kick Boat, wearing a life jacket,(if a full grown labrador retriever can ride back there, a 50 lb child can too). I have a lot of fun with her onboard with me. She nets my fish and keeps me entertained.

Have a great day.

Flyfisherbabe

#126 ·
Hello my name is Jan. I grew up in the mid-west Duluth, Minnesota. Right in the middle of some of the best fishing in the U.S. Now I live in the Puget Sound Area on the Kitsap Penninsula, another place close to alot of good fishing. I still fish alot in Minnesota as I have a cabin on Island Lake north of Duluth. I am new to this site and new to Fly Fishing. I am very excited!!! My dad and grandfather were excellent fly fisherman and I kick myself for not going fly fishing with them. I fished with my dad all the time other than fly fishing. I have a wonderful friend who is now disabled and will teach me. I have been building my equipment and yes I have acquired some very nice high quality equipment. It is so nice to hear from the women who are in the fly fishing world. Any words of wisdom I am open to all. And I will not be intimidated by the men. Hope to meet some of you. Good Fishing!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.