Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Welcome / Introductions

115K views 285 replies 259 participants last post by  Ron McNeal 
#1 ·
There are quite a few new members registering daily now and many that have not posted yet. Take a second to introduce yourself here.

Fyi - This thread is for intro's only. Keep the chatter offline or on another thread.

Thanks,

Chris

#152 ·
Hi all. Good evening. Sitting hear listening to classical NPR and reading fly fishing posts. Finally... a fly fishing forum site with significant traffic. Can't comment on the quality of traffic but, since I just started fly fishing in June what the hell do I know about quality anyway. Glad to be here.

#153 ·
Hello from a Duluth, MN steelheader!!!

I bumped into your site doing research for timing a trip to see my Mom in Seattle to make sure I get a little time on the water (she moved out west from MN a couple years ago). Fantastic site!!! Great info and a lot of traffic which keeps things interesting. I wish we had something like that for the Lake Superior tribs. Well, no, I don't. None of the little streams around here need any more publicity than they already get. A dozen guys on most of the north shore streams are a crowd. Most if my time from late September through November is spent chasing Brule River steelhead. The river is gorgeous and the fish are a challenge. Spring sends me up Lake Superiors North Shore in search of the spring run fish that enter the streams in early April through late May. Lake Superior steelhead aren't terribly huge. Fish in the low 30 inch class are the big ones while most fish we get are 24"-28". They are a tremendous battle though. Beats the snot out of the local favorite walleyes that fight like a wet boot.

Anyway, happy to have found the site. Thanks for opening it up to those of us DREAMING of NW steel!!!

Scot
aka - esoxesox

#154 ·
I joined the board recently. I've been fly fishing for about 25 years now. I got the fly fishing bug after fishing the Klamath in California for steelhead with a neighbor. We used Silver Hiltons on a spinning rod with bubbles. I actually started tying flies before I ever picked up a fly rod. I finally built a fly rod and haven't looked back since.

G
#155 ·
Hello,
I am new to this site and new to fly fishing. I am a native West Seattleite and have been fishing in the Seattle area all my life but mainly for salmon in the sound. I then got into spin casting for salmon awhile back. This last fall I tried fly fishing and bought a rod this spring. I took the summer off from work and fished a lot all summer. The snoqualmie, the Stilly, The Sky, the Yak. and some on the Provo in Utah, plus a ton of WA. lakes (though I didn't really care for the lake fishing).
I went just about anywhere my old car could go. I have read a 3 or 4 books on fly fishing and trying to get the basics down so I can catch more fish. I'm looking forward to using this site as a tool for knowledge and meet some people who are also looking to fish with someone newer. If you'd like to go fishing let me know? I am as I said in West Seattle so nothing is convenient, but I don't mind driving.
Frank

#157 ·
Hello,

My name is David Thurman. Studying at UW in civil engineering (Juvenile Fish Passage in Culverts). I joined the site to see about when silvers were coming in on the beaches (didnt really happen). I have been spey fishing for about 7-8 years and grew up fishing the Sandy and Deschutes in Oregon. I am enjoying the rivers of this state a lot. I will most likely not post though.

Cheers!

#158 ·
My name is Keven Strehle and I was introduced to this site by a fishin buddy of mine and it is a tremendous resource. Kudo's to the administrators!
I produce a TV show called NW Backroads and during the last six years I have tried to get as much of your passion on the air. It doesn't hurt that I am a die hard fly-fisherman. If you know of great fishing stories, or of great personalities that would make compelling TV, please doen't hesitate to pitch it. I would love nothing more than to make the show as much about fishing as I possibly can, but need your help. If you like what we do, let us know and we'll do more.

Tight lines! Keven

#159 ·
Well, I will tell you all straight up.. I know nothing about fly fishing, except that I want to learn how to do it. I live in Seattle and want something to do that will get me out on the rivers and wilderness in general. I got my first copy of Northwest Fly Fishing magazine and a pamphlet on the basic how to's on the sport in the mail today.

I don't even own a rod yet, but I am going to get one and start practicing my casting. I am self employed and have time I can take to learn how to fly fish and travel to fishing spots here locally and further off in Eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming.

I have been an outdoors sportsman most my life. Hunting Elk, bow hunting mule deer, hunting chuckar, even trapped bobcat and coyote for a few years in northern Nevada back in the 1980's. Never fly fished though.

This is a great site, I can tell that already from the short time I have visited. Looking forward to learning from you all. I might even keep you posted on my progress, or lack of it, lol!

#160 ·
Hello all,

My name is Chris Sergeant, and I am excited to start utilizing the wealth of information on this site. I live in the grand old neighborhood of Ballard, which is a great place, but most days I daydream about being somewhere east of the mountains.

I grew up in south King County and have fished my entire life, but only took up flyfishing about 3 years ago. I am a total hacker. But I do enjoy sitting next to a river or floating on lakes while flogging away, and am currently interested in improving my knowledge of:

- The Yakima River
- Trout in small Columbia Basin creeks (NOT Rocky Ford)
- Carp on flats
- Sea-run cutthroats

I look forward to future conversations with some of you!

#161 ·
Hi there, A good friend from the islands turned me on to this forum so, I thought I would check it out.
I grew up in Glenn's Ferry, Idaho (Sturgeon territory) and the snake was my back yard. Started fishing very young and never out grew it.
I am FF all the way and guide on occassion. Play Rock and Roll on the weekends. Life doesn't get any better.
Word of warning, I am a walking billboard for Orvis, but I am also a freak for McFarland Glass and Oyster Bamboo.:thumb:

#162 ·
Good day all! :)

My name is Rick Baerg and I am from Chilliwack, BC Canada, which is only three hours from Seattle! I am new to this board and enjoying it very much. I am a full time fishing guide in the Vancouver/Fraser Valley and have been doing it for the last eight years. I have been fishing since I was a little boy and have lived and fished in several different areas in BC, Terrace; on the banks of the Skeena and it's tribs, Williams Lake; Caribou/Chilcotin stillwaters and river and down here on the mainland. I have been fly fishing and tying since I was twelve years old and started Spey casting in 1996, boy time fly's. I haven't done much steelheading in your neck of the woods but I have fish some of your stillwaters quite a bit, Pass and Phazon lakes. Looking forward to fishing some of your steelhead rivers this year as I have the disease, steelhead itis, unfortunately I am addicted! :beer2:

#163 ·
Hi all!;) Word of mouth travels fast! Was told about this site through my friend Rick (above), and having fun being here as well.:) Been fishing forever, for anything that swims, (especially steelies) but have concentrated on chucking feathers for about 10 years on both BC's mainland and interior stillwaters and flows. Did a little trout fishing down your way for the first time this summer, and had a great time. Now I'll be looking to make more visits your way. Great Site!

Finder;)

#164 ·
Hi, I am new to the site as well. I grew up in South Sound fishing for SRC and salmon then spent some time over in Pullman where I learned about steelhead.

Most of my fishing was done on the Grande Rhonde and the snake. While in Pullman I got the fly fishing bug from a friend who is a fanatic about the sport.

For the past several years I have been out of action with the kids but am starting to get back into shape and have even been out for chumm and SRC.

I look forward to learning from the resident experts and maybe being able to contribute now and again.

Great site!

Merch

#165 ·
My name is Chris I really did not like fishing at all but, I was at sportsman show last year, and saw this guy with a fly rod casting out into a man made pond. He ask if I wanted to try so I picked up this fly rod he showed me the cast. and well I got into it. I am now $2000 into my new sport. This year I have landed 30 kings 12 steelheads cant wait for next years fish run !!!!!!

#166 ·
razorback said:
My name is Chris I really did not like fishing at all but, I was at sportsman show last year, and saw this guy with a fly rod casting out into a man made pond. He ask if I wanted to try so I picked up this fly rod he showed me the cast. and well I got into it. I am now $2000 into my new sport. This year I have landed 30 kings 12 steelheads cant wait for next years fish run !!!!!!
Glad to hear you aren't taking this addiction seriously:rofl: :thumb:

#167 ·
Hi everyone. :)

I Stumbled Upon (Firefox thing) this site a few months ago or so and have been checking the gallery often ever since. I really enjoy looking at the photos and videos. It's great that there are new photos almost every day.

I have been on the Utah on the Fly forum for several years. It is also a vBulletin forum. The gallery there isn't very active because you have to be a paying member to be able to upload photos.

I have lived in Salt Lake for about 9 years. I moved from San Antonio.

I am an avid golfer. During the long golf season here, I am almost always playing in a tournament on Saturdays and I play twice a week in men's leagues.

I am also a snowboarder. This will be my 4th or so season. I recently bought a Burton Malolo board to ride the powder easier. I was using a Burton Custom for a few years (probably should sell it now hehe).

I have also been fly fishing for several years. The fly fishing is good here, but probably not all good as in WA. There are only a few rivers nearby and none are large. Unfortunately, the Green is 3 1/2 hours away. Now that is a river. I have only been once. I do enjoy fishing small streams too, though, and there are a fair number of them around. During the summer, I like to take the little pontoon boat out and fish a few lakes.

I wrote the software and run My Golf Domain.com (www.mygolfdomain.com). It's a golf website that features a game tracker that I wrote and other things such as the forums, gallery, arcade, etc. The website was mentioned on BBC after Tiger Woods teed off in final round of The Open Championship (British Open) and again on ESPN and Sky Sports during the FUNAI tournament in Florida. I have a fishing forum and there are golf/fishing/snowboarding photos in the gallery (Photos link).

Keep the photos and videos coming in! The water is always better on the other side. It's nice to be able to look even though I am not in WA.

- Jim

#168 ·
:beer2: Hi, my name is Travis. I currently live in Boise (going on 7 years now), but I am originally from Davenport, WA. Grew up fishing the rivers and lakes in Eastern Washington. To this day I consider Lake Roosevelt my home fishery. I am pretty new to fly fishing so I look forward to the information that the forums and pics on this site provide.

#169 ·
razorback said:
:eek: Holly molly, with all the money you spent it's time for photos, right?

Daryle

#171 ·
robinsoj said:
Some photos of mine from Salt Lake are on the way. :)

Didn't know that the Great Salt Lake had trout, did ya? ;)
I uploaded some photos to the gallery. :thumb:

My gear:

G Loomis GLX Streamdance 9' 5 weight (yeah, buddy)
Ross Evolution 2 (kinda liked my Lamson better)
Hodgman Guide waders (work great...had for several years)
SIMMS Aquastealth boots (very nice and had for years, but need a size up hehe)

I just bought a Pentax W20 "waterproof" camera. I had a Canon S40, but it finally gave out...got wet years ago when playing golf believe it or not hehe.

I'll upload more photos.

#172 ·
Found this site while planning my next Alaska trip. I live in the upper midwest, Duluth, MN. Good fishing but short seasons.

I'm looking at the Naknek River Camp one mile below Lake Naknek for next summer. The rainbows are HUGH so they say. Anyone been there or heard anything of this camp?

Thanks Asteelie

G
#173 ·
Hello everyone,

I just moved to Washington last week (from Southern California). I need some suggestions on where to go. I went to Creekside and picked up the Central Cascades Fishing Guide book but need some "real world" advice on where the good spots are. Not knowing the area, reading the book is a little Greek.

I'm new to the sport so I'm not ready for the half day excursions yet. I'd like to find a nice spot or two within 15 miles of the house for starters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try not to bug you with all the rookie questions. I need HELP :beathead: Look forward to hearing from all of you.

Sixstring

#174 ·
Like most of the people posting on this thread I am new to this site. I am a native to the northwest. I've been fishing most of my life, but started flyfishing when I was 16 with my dad. For the most part it was just a side hobby to hiking and climbing so I spent my most my fishing days in the alpine lakes and the occasional chum trip. In the mid 90's some friends at work taught me to fish for big trout. We spent lots of time fishing Eastern Washington and on costal rivers. They even took me on a couple trips to Montana fishing for Big browns. These guys were excellent fisherman and fun to be around I learned a lot. In recent years I've returned to spending most of my free time in the mountains, but I still like to take my flyrod whenever there may be a high lake along the way, when my parents invite me on a club trip, we go on a family vacation or head to Eastern Washington to visit the in-law.

In the last couple month I've started to get the urge to do some serious fishing again, but don't tell my wife she thinks I have too many hobbies already.

#175 ·
Just wanted to Introduce myself. I really have enjoyed this site and have found it to be a great resource for informaton and opinions from more experienced casters. I'm kinda new to the area so if you have any tips for an import, I would appreciate it.

Thanks. :beer2:

#176 ·
Howdy all - I'm currently in Utah on a working ski detour. I've lived in WA most my life, and look forward to coming back in early '07, hopefully in time to partake of the early lake fishery. Once those bad boys get too warm, you'll (hopefully NOT!) find me prowling headwaters for wild trout until the Yak drops. I'm also a sometimes steelhead and beach sampler, but trout "and the environs where they are found" are where my heart is.
Many Reel Screams :beer2:
C1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.