Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Welcome / Introductions

115K views 285 replies 259 participants last post by  Ron McNeal 
#1 ·
There are quite a few new members registering daily now and many that have not posted yet. Take a second to introduce yourself here.

Fyi - This thread is for intro's only. Keep the chatter offline or on another thread.

Thanks,

Chris

#203 ·
'bout time to introduce myself...Gary Dills. Spent my teenage years learning to fly fish and tie...during the 60's...Bamboo, then Fenwick Glass...Thompson vise. Then my buddy bought a Ranger Bass boat and that became the go to fishing for both of us. I fly fished much less and became too busy with career and other things. I've begun to rekindle the passion I have for the sport...the Puget Sound is a little different than what I cut my teeth on in the Sierras. More variety of fish...more interesting weather...but I am once again rekindled! I love still water fishing and tying patterns for such...and you can't beat the small streams and rivers with the 3wt. I've yet to catch a steelhead but will!
This is a great site and I've visited often this past year...even bought some stuff...I've learned a good deal...who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks...
Learn Something New Each Day

#204 ·
Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for quite some time. I'm a hybrid fisherman, If you see me fishing you will see that I have both gear and fly rods in the boat.:eek: I blame this on growing up in SW Washington (Ilwaco/South Bend/Kalama). Salmon every summer, steelhead every winter, cutties in the fall, surf perch and rock fish in between.... and don't forget the crab!

I've been flyfishing since I was 12. My father gave me an 8wt Shakespear glass rod that he purchased at the Naval Exchange after his enlistment was up. I've been tying and tossing flies ever since. I'm not very skilled but I've picked up a lot of pointers on these forums. Thanks for all the great info!

#205 ·
Hi,

So, here's yet another introduction by some newb. :)
Not only new to the site, but also to fly fishing.

My first real fly fishing experience was this April, over in Colorado. My brother-in-law got both my wife and I hooked on fly fishing. Of course that means needing some gear of our own. (His and Hers for anything that can't be shared.)

Looking forward to breaking out the atlas and exploring some of those little blue lines, but for now, reading lots of old posts. :)

Paul

#206 ·
Hello everyone,
My name is Jeff Newcombe and I'm originally from Maine where there is some great fly fishing, if anyone is planing a trip let me know and I can steer you to some great rivers. I work for a company which builds wind energy farms and will be living in Walla Walla. If anyone lives in the area I would appreciate some advise on rivers and wouldn't mind tagging along with anyone on a weekend for some fishing oppertunities.

#207 ·
Hello all Josh Sharp here. Moved to Camas 3 months ago from Michigan. I would not consider myself and avid fly fisher, but I have done quite a bit back home. Just bought a new launch and need to try it out. So if any of you live in the area and find yourself fishing, I would enjoy the company and knowledge of the area and its rivers. Thanks

#208 ·
Hi,everbody my name is Steve Robbins from Centralia Wa. I was looking for a great fly fishing site to join and i found this one which is very infomative and interesting. I began fly fishing about 25 years ago in Vermont and have been hooked ever sence, I don"t claim to know it all i"m learning everytime i go out and hit the water, the fish keep teaching me new stuff all the time. I"m fairly new to the area of Centralia so if anybody has any ideas where to go and try to cast a fly i would appreciate any advice. Just send me a PM and we can hookup sometime. Thanks to You all. Steve.

#210 ·
Hi, fellow fly anglers. I've had a look-see a few times at this forum, over the years, so I might as well join up. Name's John, in Nanaimo, B.C., on Vancouver Island. Born and raised here on the coast, and lived here all my life, except for brief stints in Massachusets and Maryland. I was lucky enough to spend my formative years living beside a mountain stream inhabited by cutthroat, and also close to the ocean. I can't remember if my first fish was a shiner, sculpin, or cutthroat, because I was very young, and that was 50-odd years ago now. Apart from sport fishing, I also have experience commercial trolling and fisheries work (government and private).

Tied my first flies when I was about 8 or 9, and have recently added fly rod building to the obsession. I rarely use gear anymore, although I used to cast Buzz Bombs for coho and chinook in the Strait, before their populations plummeted. Now I beach fish for them, with a 7 or 8 weight, as time allows. Most of my fishing is done in rivers and the ocean, so I'm quite ignorant of lake techniques.

These new-fangled computer forums are great for the never ending learning curve, eh? (Had to get an "eh" in here!) And I hope to contribute when I can, as well.

#211 ·
Tied flies a decade ago in high school in Outdoor Education and though it was fun but didn't pick up fly fishing till this summer, when I realized that I was missing out on some significant salmon fishing action.

I'm always game for salt or freshwater fishing excursions and meeting new people, so shoot me a PM if you want to go fishing (salmon, trout, flounder, whatever). Anything within 2 hours of Bothell will likely spur my interest.

tight lines,
Christophe

#212 ·
Hey everybody!

My name's Tony, and I've been a registered lurker on the site since I moved to Bellingham 5 years ago. I figure that it's time to join in on the conversation, since I've taken so much from this site.

I started fly fishing when I was 9 or 10, in rivers and lakes around my boyhood home of Kettle Falls. Soon after, I began tying flies -- I still use the same old stationary vise that I started with, almost twenty years later. I fished using both gear and fly equipment for a number of years, but since moving to Bellingham, I only used gear a couple of times.

Following high school graduation, I did a year at EWU, then joined the Navy. I participated in both Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, and when I got out of the Navy, I moved up to Bellingham to start a band and be at one with myself. I am currently in college studying Entertainment Business, and graduate in March. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go straight through in pursuit of a Master's, but it's starting to look that way.

My fly experience lies in Eastern WA streams, spring creeks, ponds and lakes for rainbow, brown, and cutthroat trout. I spent almost my entire childhood in the woods, and found my share of secret spots.

Since moving to Bellingham, I've fished all over this side of the state. I marvel at the breathtaking views one will see when swinging a fly through a run on any one of the fine rivers on the west side of the mountains.

Although I can't seem to dial in anadromous fish on the fly (there's no salmon/steelhead where I grew up -- thanks Grand Coulee Dam), I have had decent luck on stillwaters over here for trout. I have, however, experienced the thrill of having a steelhead on the end of my line, and it was enough for me to dedicate several dozen days a year to chasing them. I haven't had the fortune of catching another one, but my excitement for this fish hasn't wavered.

I look forward to participating in future conversations on this site, as well as meeting some of you on the water.

#216 ·
I recently relocated to Vancouver from San Diego. I still have a house in San Diego and spend a fair bit of time there. I got into offshore fishing in San Diego as there isn't much flyfishing to be done. I'm still a hack but have a great time flyfishing. I started when I lived in AK a few years back. I'm new to Vancouver and would very much enjoy hooking up with a couple of people here to make some day or possibly weekend trips out of Vancouver.

Joel

#217 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Kale, and I actually run the website for the tv show Sport Fishing On The Fly. Most of the fishing on the show is done in the Pacific Northwest, so hopefully some of the info, video and fly patterns I have can be of some use here. I just recently found this board, but it seems like a very active and friendly community that I am looking forward to contributing to.

#218 ·
Greetings Kale!
Welcome to the board.
I was just on the SFOTF site watching a video of a " much younger" Don and Brian tying a chironomid.
I watch the program fairly regularly here in So. Cal. and enjoy the unfettered approach to things.
Looking forward to your input.

#219 ·
Hi, fellow fly rodders.

I am a long time reader, and a first time poster. My name is Gordon, and I live in Toronto, Ontario. I got my start fly fishing from my dad, who took me outside the city to fish in the local streams. My first fish was a trout, caught using a nymph my dad tied. I unfortunately, have not been able to duplicate his fly tying ability, but am constantly reading and getting better all the time.

I like to read and write about the fly fishing books, and what I have learned from them. My latest book that I reading is Fly Tying For Beginners: How to Tie 50 Failsafe Flies. I find that it is really helpful, and hope to post a review soon.

#221 ·
Hello all,

Joined today after searching the forum and being blown away at how helpful the members are to questions from newbies and experts alike. Congrats on forming such an inclusive group in a notoriously secretive sport. I grew up in Anchorage, AK where I spent my time gear fishing for sockeye and chinook in the Kenai and openwater species in Ressurection Bay. Moved to Seattle and was introduced to fly-fishing by my wife's uncle. Luckily, I married into a series of cabins on Hood Canal near Brinnon have have experienced what a fantastic place that is.

Looking forward to sea run cuts now and silvers/chum in the fall. Thanks in advance for all of your advice and recommendations.

Johannes

#222 ·
Greetings All!

I'm from Corvallis, Oregon. Planning a camping and hiking trip with friends and family at Ohanapecosh campground at Mount Rainier NP. Hoping to sneak away from the group and get some fly fishing in. Any advice or suggestions appreciated. I'm limited to early morning short distances from the campground. Is it true I don't need a fishing license in the park?

Thanks much,
Simon

#223 ·
Hello all I have been lurking around on the site for a spill so I thought I would say hello. I am origionally from Portland, Or. and claim the D-shutes as my hometown river where I spend most of my time. I am currently stationed here in Everett as a engineer in the U.S. Navy. I have spent the last two years learning all this new water. I have decided to focus learning one river and that one is the N.Stilly. I have been tossing the fly for about 10 years now and can hold my own but will always learn and appeciate new information to this lovely sport. I am always looking for people to fish with as I am usually alone on the river. Not many people in the Navy fish or are remotely skilled in the sport. So If you want to hit the river please shoot me a line and lets get into some fish.

Cheers,

Ty

#224 ·
Hello!
Grew up in Seabeck, Washington, bird hunting, fishing and crabbing Hood Canal. Dabbled a bit in fly fishing/tying as a kid too. Spent some time trekking to Rocky Ford with my older brothers a few years back and now I'm looking forward to picking up the fly rods again. Just moved to the Purdy area and have access to the Burley Lagoon. Never flyfished saltwater before and the forums here are outstanding for a rube! Also was very impressed with the knowledge and friendliness found at the Gig Harbor Fly Shop - great crew there!

Appreciate the posts and sharing of great information that used to be "insider only" knowledge,

x/Chris

#225 ·
Hello fly wetters - I found this site from a reference from hunting-washington.com and I have been hooked. New to fly fishing but been fishing bait and lures forever. Met a gent at Boeing who hooked me in this new adventure. Took a few lessons from him and floated the Snoqualmie. Caught a few and started to purchase my gear. WOW More expensive than my hunting stuff. I picked up a cheaper rod and reel. Lines, float tube, waders, wading boots and lotsa little accessories. Probably ito it $800 already. Coulda bought a loot of fish for that money. LOL Well after that have went out with a few members here and have had a great time. Good people here and hope to continue to learn from you all.

Thanks to all the moderators, sponsors and everyone who posts.

Gary G.

#226 ·
Hello to the WFF Forum!

I just reg'd on the 20th of October.

About me... I just got back into fly fishing after taking many years off. I used to do a little ff in Idaho and Montana on summer vacations from Southern Cal. This past summer I took my 5yr old fishing down in the Lake Tahoe area. We had such a great time, and he caught his first fish on his own!
After our time fishing I really started thinking about getting back in to it myself. My most recent B-day I was given a gift card and purchased a nice setup nothing to fancy as I'm really starting out again! I have a Redington 9', 8wt rod with an Okuma reel. I'm sure this will get upgraded at some point for now I'm pretty happy with the setup...mostly having a great time getting out and fishing. Of course I'm looking to improve and taking in as much as I can.

When I'm not fishing I'm traveling around the us shooting professional motorsports and doing some work within the automotive world, new car releases or working at car shows give product demos etc.

I've been covering some territory lately form the Sky out to the Yak and many spots in between!

So far I've found this forum helpful and look forward to using it more, and maybe meeting some people out on the water!

Cheers,
Curtis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.