Wenatchee open to Steelheading

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chris DeLeone, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Shit. Show.

tkww and jake-e-boy like this.
  3. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

strange coincidence, i shall be in kashmir tomorrow....

4. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

surprisingly it has been pretty mellow, have heard of few nates being caught so far, guessing not many hatchery fish left in the system.

random wenatchee river steelhead question, but does anyone know if the hatchery fish will pass through lake wenatchee and continue onto the tribs (lil' wetsnatch and white river) like the wilds? or does the lake act as a barrier? have heard rumors this occurs on the quinault

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, they can and are called strays. It is a big problem with spring Chinook in the Wenatchee and its tribs, primarily the Chiwawa. Often they are culled at Tumwater Dam to try and keep them off the spawning grounds but I don't think they operate the trap in the spring for steelhead so hatchery strays from anywhere can migrate up the lake to the White or Little Wenatchee. Of course, the fishery is designed to remove hatchery fish, including strays but unfortunately, we don't catch them all.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

What's the deal with all the unmarked hatchery fish? If they aren't all gonna be clipped then I'm curious what the point of all the worry is about removing the brats?

Or is the botched dorsal, ragged fins and rounded noses a new trait of wild Columbia trib steelhead? Here's one from Sunday, seemed obvious to me despite the adipose... See it a lot but maybe I suck.

Attached Files:

7. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Seems bratty to me.

Attached Files:

8. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I was kind of curious about this myself. I caught a few on the Methow River back in October that had an appearance similar to what you described. Yet, they still had an intact adipose fins.

Creatch'r likes this.
  9. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

I don't take a lot of pics on the col tribs but scanning through the ones I do have, the funky dorsal seems to be really really common even on otherwise "clean" fish. I never noticed that before I guess. But others definitely have shredded or worn fins (like the pic) and really stand out in appearance from the vibrantly spotted and colored fish I perceive to be truly wild. Who knows, that's a lot of dams and such to navigate. And with all the harvest along their route maybe we just get to sample what remains. Either way seems like a lot of fish. But maybe I'm just good at catching manky steelhead. But if they need help clipping fish I would get outta the house for a day and go help.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I caught well over a dozen unclipped hatches this past fall. Including several with ad-intact, but a clipped pec fin (can't whack them).

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Jake,

Yes, hatchery fish might stray above Lake Wenatchee, but the numbers that do are probably quite small. Generally the farther a place is from the point of origin of a hatchery fish, the lower the probability that it will stray there, meaning most straying occurs farther downstream and closer to the hatchery at Wells Dam.

Sean,

Groups of unmarked hatchery fish are released so that the interception rate of those fish can be compared to that of the marked fish. This is necessary to estimate the survival benefit to the unmarked wild fish. In addition, because not enough wild fish survive to maintain or recover the populations of mid-C steelhead in most years, unmarked hatchery fish are relied upon to augment natural spawning escapement, particularly in lower than average survival years.

Sg

jake-e-boy likes this.
  12. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Thanks Sg, I've heard that the PUD is responsible for a majority of the unclipped hatches in the wenatchee, any truth to that?

edit:
    Thanks for the reply!

13. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Thanks for the reply. Interesting info as usual! I will learn to love the ugly ones I guess... or lie and say they were pretty.

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Those ugly ones can still put on a good show if they are in the mood.

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Jake,

Yes, the PUD raises all the hatchery fish stocked in the Wenatchee as far as I know.

Sg

jake-e-boy likes this.