West-end Olympic Peninsula rivers closures.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Shad

Shad Active Member

Just to make sure nobody gets caught fishing closed waters... The Hoh is open. The section of the Quileute that runs through the National Park (not much if it) is open. No salmon fishing on OP rivers not mentioned. In other words, we got the Hoh back, but it appears the damage has been done for the year on the Quileute system. Still time for this to change, but it gets less likely with each passing day.

2. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Yeah our co managers caught their 50% of kings plus ours on the Quill. Complete bullshit! That being said there are still tons of coho despite our co managers best efforts. There is no reason that those rivers should not already be open for at least coho fishing.

3. Shad

Shad Active Member

What horrible co-mis-management of what was an increasing Chinook population.

Spell check doesn't like that term I just coined, but I thought it was pretty clever.

It sucks a lot, but it's pretty hard to argue, no matter how many coho are around, that we should put whatever's left of the kings at risk by opening it back up.

This trend of treaty tribes overharvesting quotas (or, at times, straight up overfishing) and then shutting down sport seasons makes it pretty clear who calls the shots in the "Co-management" game. It also makes it blatantly clear just how little resolve WDFW has to ensure that sport anglers get access to ANY of the State's 50%. If every single hatchery salmon got caught in a commercial net or troll fishery, it would be a perfect performance on the WDFW scorecard. That is the reality.

4. Stuart_Stringer

Stuart_Stringer Active Member

At least they kept summer steelhead open in some areas.... which is better than last year.

It was good to see the Hoh reopen quickly after the rains, but every passing day on the Quillayute system reduces my optimism for a reopener.

5. Jonathan Tachell

As reported yesterday by the WDFW the sol duc hatchery already has a surplus of hatchery coho. Glad it is still not open. What a crock of shit! I am hearing they could open it in a week and a half or so. Just in time for there to be a ton of hatchery boot coho around like last year. Could get lucky and find a few fresh fish after weeding through 10 or 20 dark ones. So pumped my license and tax dollars go to waste on hatchery fish that are meant to be caught but can't be by sport anglers. Oh well the state should make a couple bucks on selling the surplus boots for dog food. So stupid!

6. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

Is there a reason they are keeping closed? I'm thinking the possible protection of wild coho in the system among the hatchery fish? Honestly just asking.

7. Jonathan Tachell

It reopened on the 6th. The reason for the closure was because the Quillayute tribe caught 300% of the overall Chinook quota in the lower river when the flows were down. So the state said they could not afford to lose another Chinook and they were worried about catch and release mortality by recreational anglers.

However, WDFW maintained that the rivers were closed due to low river flows for weeks after the closure even though we had a ton of rain 3 days after the closure bumping the rivers up to the point that they were blown out. Eventually the WDFW closed the mid Bogie and Calawah to all fishing as well, stating that the Chinook had been overharvested during low flows. But they did not publicly say who over fished them and how many were caught. I sent an email almost a month ago to the director, the fish program manager and the regional bio asking why the rivers were still closed and how many Chinook the tribes actually caught. Still no response. The Forks guides asked the WDFW why the rivers were still closed at the steelhead guiding meeting put on by the WDFW and the guys in attendance were told that the tribes caught 300% of the harvestable number of Chinook for the system and that's why it remained closed.

8. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

So that's why they won't state a reason. Are the numbers the self reported numbers? Cause I'm sure those are accurate.

9. Jonathan Tachell

I don't know how the WDFW came up with the #'s but one of my best friends talked to a fish buyer who said on the tribes second to last day of netting in October they bought 58,000 pounds of salmon from the Quill tribal fisherman. And after witnessing all of the fish in the lower river during low flows I am sure the gill nets and drift nets were beyond effective at scooping up a majority of the salmon, especially the kings.

10. Yadwick

Yadwick Active Member

Man, if that is true, it is beyond disgusting. Everyone of the people involved in that should be fined, revoked of fishing privileges, and forced to run naked through devils club and slide alder.

11. Jonathan Tachell

I completely agree. Unfortunately only tribal enforcement or the feds can hand down any punishment and that never happens.

12. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

So to make things fair they won't net steelhead this winter?

13. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Who do we contact at the federal level to voice our disgust about what happened?

Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things I'm sure they'll be an ineffective problem solver equivalent to a potted plant, but some bitching needs to be done.

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  14. Jonathan Tachell

Oh I am sure they will be netting winter steelhead as scheduled.

15. Jonathan Tachell

I would contact your congressman and voice your displeasure. I have tried contacting the Quill tribe and the WDFW. That was a month ago and I have not heard back from either entity.