west point question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by hendersonbaylocal, Sep 19, 2005.

1. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

does anyone fish west point in seattle? for src...salmon. I'm a bit confused about the regs and what exactly is open. Has anyone had any luck there, and maybe more importantly - how is the access? thanks.

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'll answer part of your question. You can fish for searuns year round in all of Puget Sound. Just make sure you're using single barbless hooks, and a 5wt or bigger rod.

3. barbless

barbless Member

I've never seen anyone fishing out there, but you are correct, the regs are a bit confusing. It would seem that you need a freaking GPS device to figure out where to fish - when in doubt, call WDFW.
    It may be a bit of a moot point however, since my recollection of that beach is that is very shallow and does not look that conducive to high quality fishing adventures - I was not tempted to fish there, even without considering the looooooong walk in. I think there are other beaches in the area that would probably be more, uh, satisfying from an angling and olefactory perspective. :confused:

barbless

4. herl

herl Member

I believe that it is open to fishing with hook and line, from the beach, but I would need to check the regs again to be sure.

I have fished it once and didn't see any fish, though I would guess the north side of the point would hold some from time to time as it does drop off quite a bit.

Access is very tough. You are looking at a very long walk each way. Discovery park is the biggest park in Seattle and the parking lots are about as far from the point as you can get. Last time I was in there, any roads that led closer to the point were off limits to anyone except military. Bringing a bike may be a good option, but the trails that I used to go down to the point would not have been bikeable- there are probably other routes.

All that said, if you go, let me know how it was. I imagine that the coho fishing would be decent this time of year.

5. Benn

Benn Member

The way I read it West Point is open as of August 31. I think the Marine Preserve note in the regs is just a way of saying not to harvest shellfish in proiximity to the wastewater treatment plant outfall. There are similar "preserves" at Carkeek and Lincoln Park, both parks have wastewater outfalls or SCO's.

I've fished there a couple times this year. It is a long walk from the parking areas to the beach, about a half hour (longer if you miss the cut off trail in the dark, like I did) and it is a good uphill hike back up. I was out there last Thursday AM and there were a couple gear guys right at the point. No fish hooked, but a few jumpers about.

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I've tried west point a number of times over the past years. The walk is long, the wind is often up (it's quite exposed), and i've never had much luck. It's closed on the north side for much of the year. Golden Gardens or Carkeek seem to be better choices. Or Lincoln.

7. Calico Keta

Calico Keta Member

Unless I am missing something, why not park down by the waste water treatment plant. There are parking spaces avaliable for the public and it's only short walk to West point light house, less then 50 yards.

8. herl

herl Member

I believe that parking lot can only be accessed by military personel. At least, that is how it was last time I was there.

9. Calico Keta

Calico Keta Member

Hmm, never heard of that before.
    When was the last time you were there?
    I was last down there around the fourth of July.
    I will check tomorrow, I just live up the road.

10. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

It's 24 hour permit parking only and patrolled pretty frequently.

11. Benn

Benn Member

I fished West Point twice in the AM this past week. No fish but a couple good follows on a beach popper last Wednesday and some jumpers right at the beach, but then nothing, nada, on Saturday morning.

There is a pretty good shortcut from the North parking lot that cuts a good 10 to 15 minutes from the hike via marked trails and ends up down to the north side of the point. PM me and I'll be glad to share it.

It is still a pretty good 15 minute hike, but it's a nice walk through the woods. Plus there is no gate at this park, so you can get an earlier jump on things.