Westside guys. Why the interest in E. WA steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfis4fun, Oct 10, 2007.

1. JS

JS Active Member

In the end, are we all so different? I think not.:beer2:

2. Methow

Methow Active Member

Doing my rain dance....:rofl:

3. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    wtf send us rain man!

flow spike

Flow Spike

FLOW SPIKE

common lay some sugar on me. About 150 cfs worth of sugar.

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I think you summed part of it up in your initial post. Since we have 12 months a year to chase steelhead here on the west side, it can be nice for a change of scenery - even if it lacks the true chromage we love so much over here. That said, I have yet to fish for steelhead on the east side. Too many options (from salmon, steelhead, trout, etc) closer to home. There's the OP, various decent lakes like Pass, fishing the salt year round, bulls\dollies, SRCs, etc etc.

5. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    As mentioned or steelhead returns have been dismal this year. Our salmon returns on the other hand have not been that bad and they are now everwhere to the point that it is more fun to stay off the river and drink a beer while watching football or MLB. Salmon move our fish around and just plain get in the say of the few rivers that still have some steelhead in them. Why not fish for salmon? Well because everyone and their dog is fishing for them and watching a few bad apples snag fish leans me to wanting to discharge firearms.

Are steelhead grabby more on the Eastside? Well yes because they are re-acclimated to being in freshwater and have started to remember their native instincts that they had when they were smolts. It is true some fresh fish are grabby straight from the ocean, but not so much with salmon in the rivers.

I personally fish the Eastside this time of year to get away from the same water I have been fishing all spring and summer. A change of scenery mixed with good swinging water and fish that have not seen many flies yet seems like a great idea. I doubt I will fish the Methow this Fall/Winter, but the Wenatchee is on my to do list for November. FYI, have steelhead, will travel.........

6. Riane

Riane Mouse doctor

I go wherever I have to go... but now just killing time waiting for the big, bright winter and early spring chrome.

7. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

It is hard to catch fish over here; the westside isn't a land of plenty you think it is when it comes to steelhead, at least not in the Puget Sound. There are a lot of famous rivers around here, but the great famous runs of fish have dwindled and have become threatened. Catch and Release seasons are shutting down river by river. Come to think of it there's only one left in the north sound :( Hatchery programs are barely getting it done in quite a few Puget Sound rivers, I've heard there is talk of discontinuing hatchery programs(correct me if you know better) due to poor returns in rivers like the stilly. And this summer was a real bummer.

8. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

If you can catch fish on the S-rivers(s=Stupid Seattle Saturated rivers) where there are not any fish, then you can catch fish anywhere. In fact, those that have put in their dues on these worthless, barren rivers can make it look easy over there. Besides, my mom and dad live there, I grew up there, half the extended family lives there. There aren’t any 509 Nazi's that will take up sniper positions on the passes are there? I can see it now; Minute man like units patrolling the passes, looking at birth certificates and proof of residence for the last 50 years.

Nobody mentioned that bird hunting is a hell of a lot better too.

9. Ryan Buccola

Ryan Buccola I ain't broke but brother I am badly bent

Home Page:
    Mike-your a good sport!

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Mmmmm.....surf and turf; hatchery brat on the barbie, valley quail wrapped in bacon sizzling in the kitchen, and a local brewed October stout foaming in a glass on the deck railing. Doesn't get any better.:beer2:

11. JS

JS Active Member

If I can shoot straight that is the plan for sunday night. :beer2:

12. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

the grass is always greener on the other side of the state