Wet fly recommendations

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Kulikov, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Kind of depends on when and where your fishing. Last year I found the Partridge and Orange, Partridge and Green in size 12 and 14 to work well. Bailley's spiders in black, orange and yellow work very nicely tied on a size 14 dry fly hook. The Bailley's Black is my avatar. All three use the thread color for the body and a starling feather palmered halfway down the body. Jim Slattery's Triple Threat Caddis is also a great Montana wet fly. Tying instructions are here http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/091304fotw.php .

Gary Knowels and Ron McNeal like this.
  2. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

3. Skilly

Skilly Member

For traditional wet flies I grew up using a Royal Coachman, Captain, Ginger Quill and Gray hackle yellow. My dad uncles and grandfathers all fished these same flies normally on a two or three fly cast. That was in the late 40s and early 50s. I still use the same patterns today.

Skilly

Michael v.d.Bogert likes this.
  4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Potts Flies are a Montana "old reliable" and have been for years.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/Subject/SubjectRead.aspx?sid=22&aid=141162&type=T
    I don't use woven hackle, but you can improvise this by spinning horsetail or bear hair, and then grooming it back over the body & tying it down. The body has a woven belly; I use horsetail for the top & hackle . . . the belly is rod-wrapping thread (doubled & tied-in at the tail of the fly. Take the horsehair across, wrap the horsehair once with the rod-winding thread, reverse the horsehair back across the top, repeat until near the eye. Leave 1/8" to 3/16" or so of bare hook shank near the eye so you can spin the "hackle," spin, work the "hackle" back with your fingers, tie-off in place, tie a small head, and whip-finish.). Great Montana wet-fly pattern. A Montana "Old-Timer" showed me this method back in the '50's; reckon that I'm a Montana "Old Timer" now, lol & it's time to pass the torch . . . have fun!

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I met Sylvester at the International FFF Conclave when it was held in Eugene... yes, he is indeed a good story teller.

I prefer soft hackles over traditional winged wet flies but I still try the traditional style from time to time when things are slow. Every now and then, a winged wet fly will work when a soft hackle won't.... so I carry both styles.

6. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Active Member

Big thumbs up for soft hackles!! Partridge and any color. I recall a day fishing in the Ozarks when I went through the same run (maybe 30 yards long) five time in a row, caught at least 5 fish each time. I just changed from partridge and green to partridge and red, then orange, yellow, and tan. It's a killer trailer behind almost any fly.
    Steve

7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Here are some soft hackles I've fished with lots of success, swinging them through runs, along the banks etc, sorry about the multiple posts, I'm doing this from a mobile device.
    [​IMG]

Gary Knowels likes this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

With a tungsten bead to get down low quick!
    [​IMG]

9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Soft hackle caddis
    [​IMG]

Patrick Gould likes this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

You can use wire for the bodies, some dubbing for the thorax and some starling soft hackle
    [​IMG]

Patrick Gould likes this.
  11. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Active Member

Love that soft hackle caddis! I think I'll tie up a bunch of those. That last pic is exactly what I was talking about with changing colors. Plus, they are super fast and easy to tie, so you can keep a whole arsenal of variations.