WFF Oly Pen Trip is Feb 18 and 19

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Sounds like a good opportunity to learn from those with some steelhead time under their belt...I'll try and make it. Did you say that you would be there on Friday the 17th? If so, I'll try and head over early that morning...what time do you usually get on the water? I plan to sleep in the back of my truck and will be bringing my Buck's Bronco in hopes of following someone down unfamiliar water...would that be possible?
Thanks

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
It will depend upon Hoh River flows, clarity, conditions on that weekend. There are some relatively easy drifts on the Hoh. Especially up there. But despite conditions, the location is a good trp starting point for other rivers on the west end as well. Some will have safer drifts than others. And you would be wise to team up with an experienced drifter on any new drift.

Hey. I've never fished that area and was wondering what to expect. What sort of equipment should I bring? How cold will it be? Where exactly is it? I figure it will be wet and that's all I know. Thanks all.

ibn

ht75 said:
Hey. I've never fished that area and was wondering what to expect. What sort of equipment should I bring? How cold will it be? Where exactly is it? I figure it will be wet and that's all I know. Thanks all.
I'd bring a 8 or 9 wt rod, floating line if you're into nymphing, tips if you're a swinger. Flies are pretty standard.

As for weather, right now it's been hovering around 30ish at night, if we get a cold snap it can drop as low as 15 to 20. My first year of winter steelheading I used a white stag cheapo bag and froze my ass off. I got a 0 degree bag and have been fine since then. Bring quality rain gear, a tarp is handy if you plan on being there for more then a day or 2.

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
Jason Decker said:
it looks like I will NOT be on the OP for this event. I will be on the Yakima with my father instead.
Well, bad for us, good for your dad! Have fun out there, and may the Sqwala's be with you! ;)

chadk

Be the guide...
Hey Jason - are you still going to be using those watermasters then?? Did you make to the yak on Friday?

I'm thinking of making this gig. It's been too long since i've been to the OP. Not to be confused with the "O-P-P"

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Well I'm planning on heading out. I'm probably going to take Friday off and make it a long weekend!

Does anyone have an extra seat in a boat? I'll bring the beer and even lunch!
Or at the very least I would really like to tag along with some of you guys who have been at this steelhead game for a while. Same offer, I'll bring the beer!

Can't wait to head out for a long weekend of fishing. It's been too damn long since I've wet a line! Hopefully I'll get out this weekend for at least a half day!

Cheers,
Bill :D

James Mello

flybill said:
Well I'm planning on heading out. I'm probably going to take Friday off and make it a long weekend!

Does anyone have an extra seat in a boat? I'll bring the beer and even lunch!
Or at the very least I would really like to tag along with some of you guys who have been at this steelhead game for a while. Same offer, I'll bring the beer!

Can't wait to head out for a long weekend of fishing. It's been too damn long since I've wet a line! Hopefully I'll get out this weekend for at least a half day!

Cheers,
Bill :D
Well, at worst case, just put your name in for the "lotto" to get on a boat :) Uncle Jimmy donated one, so if you put in, you might get on one ;)

-- Cheers
-- James

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Cool, put me on the list for a boat ride! Uncle Jimmy? Mr. Mello!

Should be fun regardless, but I would really like to do a float.

Bill :thumb:

andrew

It seems quite coincidental that you all decided to fish the Hoh that weekend after I made plans…I guess I’ll have to share the river! :rofl: :beer2:

I’m heading out Friday and will probably camp Minnie or just below Morgan’s…I heading out from Bellingham so if anyone wants a ride there are two cars going (possibly) that way. Will be coming back on Sunday night.

James Mello

Jason Decker said:
james.......how many are going so far?
Current roster from the poll and the post has the following people coming. If you haven't looked at the front page, recently, take a peek there and read up. I've got most of the updates for the trip there.

andrew (sorta, as he's camping near by)
flybill
james
john
ht75
Triggs
Matt Burke
fishingjunky15
salmo g
Porter
Hedburner
banzai